About Moderation (old original thread)

1 Like

You should permaban him for grossly abusing his position of trust as administrator to publicize private correspondence solely for the purpose of stirring up shit. It’s very hard for me to buy that you need an RFC to ban gimmick accounts.

12 Likes

So we can ban someone for “bad posting” but not a person who abused the trust of the entire community? Come on now lol

2 Likes

The pro-ban authoritarian crowd seems to be growing.

4 Likes

Sure seems like an RFC and community vote would settle this.

2 Likes

Ok wookie asked me not to post (despite some pretty hilarious things being made up here about me) but please do not do this, just ban me. Seriously. This is really adversely affecting my health. I have absolutely zero plans to post here anymore, and a poll thread will be more than I can deal with.

Btw marty threatened me via PM, pretty funny leaving that out, you stupid prick.

12 Likes

I’d vote to perma any member threatening another member no matter how unrealizable the threat was.

Quiet or I’ll put a shark in your undies.

4 Likes

Though you need to go away, I understand your version of events as a low stakes version of Eric Snowden. Off to Russia you go, our sweet prince. We will never forget that they insisted on painting the facts as way worse than they were to martyr you.

SenorKeed asked for your assistance with the thread. It’s not like you hacking intimate emails at all.

It’s more like asking a friend asking you to bring ice to his house, you confusingly say sure and show up with the ice. Then when you get there you see a massive party and a bunch of people talking shit about you. Did you react the worst way possible from there? Yes… but give me a break with all the evil hacker/my privacy stuff.

4 Likes

Yes, I too am reminded of uh Eric Snowden when I think of that time an admin violated the privacy of the site’s userbase. It reminds me strongly of how the CIA routinely violates the privacy of private individuals in its attempt to construct a global surveillance panopticon. The bad thing that Edwin Snowward alerted us to.

8 Likes

Hey man,

At the end of the day we’re all a bunch of morons talking nonsense on the internet, and none of that is worth losing your health over. Channel your regrets into learning experiences, be the best person you can, and then carve out the best life possible. Mistakes can dictate our path for a time, but it’s what we choose to do afterward that determines our final destination. I hope your eventual resolution will be a good one, both for yourself and those around you.

3 Likes

Well sure, a lot of things can seem like a lot of things if you don’t “know and understand things”. This is actually why a lot of people think it’s a good idea to try to “know and understand things” and not “not know and understand things”.

There’s an anti-ban anti-authoritarian crowd, but also a some-bans quasi-anti-authoritarian crowd, and a who-cares-about-the-number-just-make-it-fair-and-logical-and-evenly-applied crowd, and even a more-bans-to-accelerate-this-shit-and-show-people-they-really-don’t-want-the-rules-they-think-they-do crowd. I’m in the latter actually and when I’m mod most of you are getting constantly banned. You’d be banned for this post you just made. And then I’d of course welcome arguments about said bans, arguments which you’d all comically lose, and probably get banned again in the process. It’s probably why my modship was not welcomed, which, fair.

Basically, we’re a diverse group and your big takeaway should be (you’re in luck, you get a 2x more-you-know) that it’s good to remember the reality you make up in your head isn’t actual reality. Usually it doesn’t matter, or will be close enough that there’s minimal friction when it does matter, but, it’s still super important to remember that they’re different things.

4 Likes

So basically you’ve been trolling about unstuck for a week straight now and are not participating in good faith whatsoever. Great.

5 Likes

Bans for bad posting are (at least in theory) there to either improve posting (preferred) or prevent bad posting entirely (least preferred)

Whats the intent of a ban here?

1. Because he deserves to be punished?
  2. Because it will prevent him from doing it again?
  3. Because it will deter other admins from doing similar?
  4. Because he made such a mess that his posting here will keep the shit show going?

Im in danger of over philosiphising here, but i think its important we understand the objective of any ban.

Edit. Of course. This is all a moo point as j wants to be banned

bro you threatened the entire forum in a public post:

bob

13 Likes

I’m actually following along with his points quite easily.

1 Like

There’s not going to be a conversation about this because the thread’s throttled, so instead of JAQing off, why don’t you just tell us what you think? If you were a mod, what would you do?

I would use about moderation threads to try and understand the consensus and then act on it…

I dont actually have a view, other than we should make decisions based on outcomes we want to achieve.

How do you act in the hypothetical that the consensus is 65% “It’s not our PMs that were published and us who were doxed so no perma” vs 35% perma?

The only way your going to improve your mental health is to leave this place for a while. There may be people here you consider part of your support group but they are entirely negated because of other posters her who bait you. Until you can read a post that is negative about you and not have it affect you this pattern of getting pissed and making horrible choices is going to continue. Find something else to take up your time.

1 Like