Wordle

I almost binked it once. And then failed getting it in 2.

The word was “Shire” and I went Shirt and then Shirk like a chump.

So irritated by the number of people sharing results on Twitter. Really wish it pointed out which players aren’t on hard mode (although you can usually see by their guess pattern).

Wordle 220 3/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

1 Like

Wordle 220 4/6

:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::green_square::white_large_square::green_square:

I had the last three letters locked and then stared at the thing for a lot longer than I’d care to admit trying to think of a word with that ending. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Hard mode not enabled there i see :face_with_monocle:

Wordle 220 6/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::green_square::yellow_square:

Man I’m good.

1 Like

Wordle 220 4/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:

This was super annoying considering today’s answer was my 2nd guess for one of the puzzles last week. I’ve been in the habit of using the same starter word so it likely would’ve been my 2nd guess this time too but this thread convinced me to try one of the data-backed starters. My stats now are 0-0-3-8-1-1, still looking for my first 2nd guess win.

Wordle 220 3/6

:yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::green_square:

EZ mode. Took me an embarrassingly long time to get it even after I had 4/5 letters

1 Like

I am much worse at this game than my vocabulary testing record would suggest! :grin:

1 Like

My fail because of not realizing letters could be repeated was “gorge,” I think. I believe it was my third game. I did get robot, but yeah, that was tough.

Yeah, I get excited when the first letter goes green on the second guess, then nothing. I’ve never gotten it in one or two, but I’ve also never gone the distance to six.

I checked what Hard Mode is and it doesn’t seem bad. It’s just “Any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses.”

I’m going to start using PENIS as my starter.

I’ve been doing that already.

I use irate as my first word.

1 Like

You can definitely get screwed in hard mode where you have no choice but to guess and hope to get lucky. I’ve been doing practice on hard, and you can get to spots where you have more possible words than guesses left and since you have to use the letters, you can’t rule out more than one per guess. Say you have _rick, there are at least 4 possible words (brick, trick, prick, crick), so you just have to hope you’re already ruled out some of those letters.

I was playing Quiddler (game with a deck of cards with letters on them, where you try to “go out” like in rummy, but by spelling words) a few years ago with some people. We had a couple of kids playing with us, and one asked her mom for help.

Kid: I can’t make anything.
Mom: Well let me see your cards and I can help.
Kid: lays EINPSZ face up for all to see
Mom: Okay, well that Z is going to be tough, but you can use the rest.
Kid: Really?
Mom: Yeah, here’s a hint: It’s a part of the body.
Me: Uh…what?
Mom: It’s like a part of your back.
Me: Oh.

14 Likes

Lol, I think I used the same first two words as you did. I could not think of the third word so it took me an extra try.

Wordle 220 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Last night I realized that I was playing on hard mode without knowing. I thought you had to use the letters in your previous guess all along.

I didn’t know what “hard mode” was until I saw it here like 2 days ago.

So far I’m 19/19 with a distribution of 0/0/5/8/4/2. Playing on self imposed hard mode without knowing there were different modes. Fun game for word puzzle fans. I like that it’s a quick, once a day break.

2 Likes

219 2/6 , went for the jugular.

Where hard mode wrecks you is when you get 3-4 letters locked in place after 4 guesses, and there are 3+ words that fit the pattern left. In default mode, you could burn one remaining try on a word that just uses a bunch of the possible remaining letters to either get the right letters or at least rule out all but one possibility. In hard mode, you just have to take your chances.

Going through the archive, I saw a really fucked up one; _OUND. Nine words fit. On hard mode especially, it’s pure gamble.