Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

https://mobile.twitter.com/CynthiaSavard/status/1220029954223681536

Iā€™m intrigued by the concept of toothpaste specially formulated for men. But as a true ThirdWay man, Iā€™ll never be caught dead buying corporate shlock at Target.

Iā€™d like to see something like this cleverly branded and sold to me in a cheeky ad on my social media feed or favorite axe-throwing podcast - preferably as some kind of toothpaste subscription.

4 Likes

BRB, starting ToothBox. All the male toothpaste you need via subscription, along with male floss that youā€™ll never use and will just pile up in your bathroom drawer.

11 Likes

What about my manscaping, beard-oiling, and erectile dysfunction needs? Will ToothBox offer subscriptions for those as well?

1 Like

Sorry, for those products youā€™ll have to subscribe to my other company, ManscapeAndFuckBox.

Cheeky name! So not corporate, and clearly not my Dadā€™s old stodgy manscaping solution.

Iā€™m going to go howl at the moon then kill a wild boar with my bare hands.

3 Likes

Jared Kushner has aged pretty well since 1998.

If you put too many primaries in a short time frame it will hugely disadvantage grass roots candidates. A national primary day will be about name recognition first and foremost. The establishment candidates will battle the air wave flooding billionaires.
For someone else to have a shot they need time to grow and build momentum. They are not able to campaign in 50 states or even the 20 largest states from the get go.

This is a spicy tweet:

https://twitter.com/AyannaPressley/status/1220502915292573696

3 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/JonnyAuping/status/1220579729343946753

7 Likes

I get tons of emails from Democrat-aligned groups. It would be hard to take this one seriously even if I wasnā€™t already turbo-deleting it:

This is a historic moment. The Senate will vote on whether or not to remove Trump from office soon. Before then, we need 43 more grassroots Democrats in %%POSTAL ZIP CODE%% to let us know where they stand.

Please send donations so we can hire some better tech guys!

1 Like

I donā€™t agree with everything in this article but it puts its finger on one of the things I donā€™t like about the ā€œfree college for allā€ movement - namely that in a world where people are forced into neoliberal warfare for decent jobs, the proposed solution is ā€œwe need to give everyone better weaponsā€.

Itā€™s a fair point for sure and thatā€™s well put. Trade schools arenā€™t any different either though in that regard. And extended general education has other benefits and it also keeps people out of the labor force longer.

The world is more complicated now. With automation there just isnā€™t much need for unskilled labor. Trade school or college seem like the equivalent of high school 50 years ago.

Also a better educated populace decreases the chances of Trump.

And everyone should have a couple of rigorous science classes imo - just so they understand the difference between scientific rigor vs. making shit up.

Oh never mind. Should have read the article first. The author just takes issue with the way college for all is being pushed in the US (and the assumed execution of it if it ever happens).

Of course we should have more collegeā€”absolutelyā€”and yes, it should be cheaper, if not free. But more college should be part of a new and more democratic education that reflects a new and more democratic workplace. There are many examples in Europeā€”I urge people to read the work of scholars like Kathleen Thelen at MIT and others who study those European alternatives to our form of capitalism. And within Europe, Denmark is still the gold standard. Denmark has firmly committed itself to education at all levels, at all points of life. Under the Danish system, the state makes a heavy investment in training that makes no distinctions and eliminates boundaries: It is the same commitment to the employed as to the unemployed, for students from white-collar and blue-collar backgrounds, for college graduate and high school graduate, and early in life and in mid-career. It is not our idea of job trainingā€”itā€™s not focused on any specific manufacturing-type skill, nor is it occupationally based in principle. The idea behind this kind of lifetime instruction is indeed to get people out of narrow occupational roles by giving them continued education in social and communication skills for a knowledge-based and service-based economy.

Sure - letā€™s follow Denmark. Iā€™m all on board.

We should surrender to Denmark.

1 Like

Maybe Greenland could buy us.

4 Likes

We might be able to scare up a buyer if we plant a media story that thereā€™s a retirement community in Florida thatā€™s interested in having their own team.

Borgen is great.

1 Like

Hopefully itā€™s on crappy Aussie netflix.

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1220844298368798720?s=20

5 Likes