Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

I spent years assuming that his line at the end was “At least I ain’t chicken”, only to find that there’s a dedicated school of thought that it’s “At least I ate chicken”.

1 Like

I think you’re right. It makes far more sense than the latter.

1 Like

NYT seriously has a one hour show to reveal their endorsement (and had a series on it) that I definitely would not give a shit about if there wasn’t a market on predictit for it.

unreal the times we live in, fuck you narcissists.

Buttgieg probably the favorite. Has all their features of an establishment Democrat but can blend into progressive circles because he’s part of the LGBT community.

From the Times perspective:

Biden = too much dementia
Warren = old, [insert sexist criticism here]
Sanders = crazy liberal nutjob
Bloomberg = wgaf
Steyer = who?
Klob = Best known for throwing office equipment at people

But at least The Decision raised $6 million for charity.

Saw an advertisement for a townhall that Buttigieg is doing with Fox News. Did a double take.

He can even use being a white guy and army vet to integrate into right-wing circles. To the NYT, he’s the ultimate catch-all candidate.

What in fuck. Does the NYT think it’s LeBron or something?

Someone needs to make a movie or tv show where some sort of state actor uses facial recognition and information from social media to fuck people over. It really sucks that, for now at least, you’re considered off if you don’t put a huge amount of your life online.

1 Like

Apparently someone turned Jack London‘s Call of the Wild into a CGI-fest with 77 year old Harrison Ford as an action star. That‘s what the world waited for.

2 Likes

warren’s the favorite

pete is a big dog, I bought 81 NO sold out of it at 91 and put that money on THE KLOB, #YOLO.

1 Like

heh I knew he was white because I randomly saw some video years ago of him at Blizzcon where he did the voice.

The guy letting him out reminded me of this:

2 Likes

That’s a deep cut.

I didn’t need another data point, but using all three timeouts in the last minute of a 31-13 loss really irked me. How low does your opinion of yourself have to be to want to play for that fucker? I hate him.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/upidaisy/status/1218924372976656386?s=20

2 Likes

Another data point to toss on the pile of how dysfunctional and broken everything is.

In Manhattan, the homeless shelters are full, and the luxury skyscrapers are vacant.

Such is the tale of two cities within America’s largest metro. Even as 80,000 people sleep in New York City’s shelters or on its streets, Manhattan residents have watched skinny condominium skyscrapers rise across the island. These colossal stalagmites initially transformed not only the city’s skyline but also the real-estate market for new homes. From 2011 to 2019, the average price of a newly listed condo in New York soared from $1.15 million to $3.77 million.

But the bust is upon us. Today, nearly half of the Manhattan luxury-condo units that have come onto the market in the past five years are still unsold, according to The New York Times .

the typical new American single-family home has become surprisingly luxurious, if not quite so swank as Manhattan’s glassy spires. Newly built houses in the U.S. are among the largest in the world, and their size-per-resident has nearly doubled in the past 50 years. And the bathrooms have multiplied. In the early ’70s, 40 percent of new single-family houses had 1.5 bathrooms or fewer; today, just 4 percent do. The mansions of the ’70s would be the typical new homes of the 2020s.

Second, as the new houses have become more luxurious, homeownership itself has become a luxury. Young adults today are one-third less likely to own a home at this point in their lives than previous generations. Among young black Americans, homeownership has fallen to its lowest rate in more than 60 years.

Third, and most important, the most expensive housing markets, such as San Francisco and Los Angeles, haven’t built nearly enough homes for the middle class. As urban living has become too expensive for workers, many of them have either stayed away from the richest, densest cities or moved to the south and west, where land is cheaper. This is a huge loss, not only for individual workers, but also for these metros, because denser cities offer better matches between companies and workers, and thus are richer and more productive overall. Instead of growing as they grow richer, New York City, Los Angeles, and the Bay Area are all shrinking.

4 Likes

The free market will never achieve Hofstadterian superrationality.

https://twitter.com/Tom_Swann/status/1219075880053395457

There’s also a Juron and a Jamaal. I think that time liked to give themselves black-sounding surnames.