Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

I say compromise and get a ukulele

1 Like

Why do people who donā€™t live in the northeast US feel qualified to have opinions about pizza? People from Idaho donā€™t try to tell southerners how to make grits. There is nobody in Scranton who expects their opinion about burritos to be respected in California.

5 Likes

Lol

People in California think itā€™s hard to find a good burrito in a place like Scranton, but no one thinks that itā€™s impossible for someone to make a good burrito in Scranton or that people in Scranton canā€™t tell what a good burrito is if they have them side by side. But, ~everyone in the New York (and thereabouts) thinks itā€™s literally impossible for there to be a good pizza or bagel outside of the area because of some magical molecule in the water or something. Hell, some pizza places in California literally import NYC water for this reason.

But, I reckon people living in such horrid conditions of snow, sleet, heat, humidity, and unfriendliness need something to feel good about.

6 Likes

Wow that is dumb. Just start with DI water and add minerals to mimic the water profile you want, like we do in brewing.

No one can tell the difference. Itā€™s that there are an infinite number of people here who grew up in NYC or Boston who think it matters. Thatā€™s the other thing about California. We are full of people from other places, not just from around the world, but around the country. And thatā€™s why half of Dodger statdium is always full of fans for the visiting team.

1 Like

I think both those things. Have you ever been to Scranton?

1 Like

Water profile makes a huge difference in brewing, especially for certain styles. Not so sure about pizza though.

1 Like

Doubt it. I lived in Buffalo as a little kid, maybe drove through it. I lived in DC for a while when I was a little older, but Scranton isnā€™t really on the way to anywhere from there.

Eyyy, wooooah, Iā€™m walkinā€™ heah, da Mets, da Dodgahs, ey, geddaloada DIS guy, fuckin DOOSHbayag ovah heah. Calzone!

I believe you about brewing - but I would bet money no one can taste test the water used in pizza.

I would also believe soda, which is 99% water. But, water taste and quality vary a tremendous amount over even small distances. This I can tell you because I drink tap water very regularly from all over SoCal.

Water prolly makes a difference in the dough though the main difference is the type/quality of the oven. If youā€™re baking something with coal thereā€™s no way youā€™re tasting whatever difference the water makes.

Around here if I donā€™t want to go out and grab a New Haven style pizza I buy dough made from a brewery at the local grocery store. Shipyard brewing makes trash beer but incredible dough for some homemade pizza.

Thereā€™s a pizza joint here that does sausage and pepperoni with honey drizzled over it. It tastes amazing.

1 Like

art. or not. actually, Anish Kapoor is an unmitigated asshole.

not the Onion

1 Like

Can we test this?

Who is the biggest loudmouth on Unstuck? Letā€™s make them the guinea pig. $100 cash prize if they can tell and describe the difference. Obviously we will pay them if wrong BUT entertaining.

Virgil Texas of Chapo Trap House lost a bet requiring him to distinguish between NYC tapwater and bottled mineral water. It may not be exactly the same test, but it strongly suggests microbetā€™s right.

Well, as strongly as a sample size of one conducted without double blinds etc can, but you get me.

Scranton is the city time forgot.

Fine, but think of the entertainment. We want new users. And Iā€™m sure the existing community would enjoy a prize fight.