Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

What’s pitchfork and who are The Beatles?

Asking for an elderly relative.

Try listen in some good headphones. The mixer Rob Kinelski did an amazing job. I theorize this was the intended listening environment what with the teenyboppers with their earbuds and what not. As for the actual music… eh.

I remember Duran Duran having pull with the alternative rock crowd and I even remember seeing a Duran Duran video sandwiched between Bjork and The Screaming Trees on 120 Minutes and caught a serious case of the wat.

wat was the correct response.

DD were always seen as an embarrassment here, even by the New Romantic posers, because they were Brummies who were belying their roots in clearly trying much too hard to be hip (bands from the Midlands are traditionally earthy dgaf types like Sabbath/Zep/Specials/Slade/Wizard etc).

Without that context I can see how they managed to fool a subset of young Americans.

But not 6ix obviously (aka 2wo at the time)

2 Likes

Wizzard > ELO

I also remember a girl having a Duran Duran button next to like a Mudhoney button and a Nine Inch Nails button (maybe The Melvins were there too) and I was like how are the Hungry Like A Wolf dudes getting away this shit.

p.s.

Like, I remember the Screaming Trees song. It was Nearly Lost You; not totally my style but a nice little rocking tune. I remember the Bjork song and video. It was Human Behaviour; totally blew my young mind. But I can’t remember the bland Duran Duran piece of shit in between. I’m guessing it had to be Come Undone or Ordinary World.

more like Durbland Durbland

Duran Duran had two self-titled albums Your Honor I rest my fucking case

mods pllz move this to the fucking Duran Duran fucking sucks thread ty

Durannies > Radiohead (of any year) is a new one on me.

Belongs in the Hot Takes thread.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll admit this was a counterpoint I’d not fully considered but all I’m saying is don’t rock my face with a shot of Helmet then blow my high with a chaser of Duran Duran. It doesn’t matter if I’m like 9 years old and not actually high.

djeeeent djeent djent

1 Like

you two could battle for Not Sure If Srs King

you still get me after all these years

like in the Walrus thread I still wasn’t 100% sure but I was playing the ranges

1 Like

There is no range.

Best of 80’s music is the ska covers of them :trolleybus:

1 Like

Ordinary World was popular right around the time the Army shipped me back to the states from Italy, where I left behind a very serious girlfriend (to the point that we contemplated marriage and figuring out a way to get me permanent resident status or whatever it was called at the time). It always makes me a little sad when I hear it…not that it lyrically had anything to do with the situation, just the association between the song and what was happening at the time.

That really depends on what you consider to be the Gen X birth years. I would say the largest bulk of Duran Duran and Simple Minds fans were young boomers and maybe the oldest of Gen X. I consider them to be a product of my oldest sisters generation, and they are boomers by most (but not all) accounting.

That doesn’t fit with my memories at all. It was MTV-fueled pablum for children, and I very much felt like I was the targeted demographic. Duran Duran was practically a boy band. Their biggest fans were middle school girls.

I would never have considered them a boy band so I guess we have a different perspective. All I know is my oldest sister and her friends were all into those bands plus Flock of Seagulls and Soft Cell and the like.

2 Likes