Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Hearts for money with the 10 of diamonds worth -10 = GOAT game.

Who changed it againnnnnnn :roll_eyes:

LC is sad. :confused:

1 Like

Werenā€™t people quoting this guy as a serious reference for the Mueller investigation? Keeping up with this timeline is exhausting.

https://twitter.com/blakesmustache/status/1240688388094562304

giphy

1 Like

Uncle Blazer has been wrong about everything. That tweet is close to confirmatiom of the opposite. If you asked the guy if he is wearing socks he would get it wrong.

Bridge doesnā€™t really have the distinction between positional and tactical because each hand is self-contained. I guess the thing is, in chess there are forks and skewers and common mating patterns and minority attacks and such, but familiarity with all these motifs doesnā€™t turn you into Mikhail Tal. Thereā€™s more to it than that.

Hereā€™s an example of one of these motifs in bridge, called a strip squeeze.

South declares 6H. It looks at first like there is no way to avoid the loss of a club and a spade, but in fact the hand plays itself to illustrate the strip squeeze, itā€™s constructed that way. South wins the ace of clubs and plays out all the hearts and diamonds, reaching this position:

The lead of the last diamond by South puts West in an impossible position. If he lets go a spade or the queen of clubs, declarer will just have two top tricks. If he lets go the ten of clubs, declarer throws him in with his queen of clubs (an endplay) and whichever spade he plays back, he gives declarer two spade tricks.

The above is like a simple constructed mate in 2 problem to illustrate a mating pattern, and here you get to see all the cards. In a real hand, declarer must reconstruct the position from clues during the hand and spot the potential strip squeeze in a far less cleanly-constructed deal. There might also be other options for making the 12th trick. For example, if you put the AQ of spades both in Southā€™s hand, the strip squeeze still operates, but declarer might instead try a simple finesse (i.e. lead towards the AQ in hand and put the Q in hoping East has the king). A bad declarer will always take this obvious option even if itā€™s likely (from clues in bidding or play) that West has the king; a good one will select the most probable option. Also, while all this is going on, an expert declarer will face expert defenders, who are actively trying to mislead him about the position of the cards. There are many examples of hands where defenders have gone to the lengths of doing things like deliberately wasting a winning card in order to confuse declarer and make him choose the wrong line of play.

In short, playing a bridge hand is much like trying to spot brilliant combinations in the course of a game of chess, except that one is required to think in probabilistic terms.

They got you too eh?

WELP

1 Like

I posted the youtubes in the poker thread. It got a ton* of views

*lol none

1 Like

I watched it from there. I can relate. I didnā€™t play poker from BF to a little over a year ago. It got fun again but then downswong from hell and it got not fun again.

1 Like

Not so dissimilar to Tal, then.

Wouldnā€™t you say thereā€™s simply much more learning involved in progressing from novice to competent in chess than in bridge?

Washington Lt. Governor Cyrus Habib, the first Iranian-American elected to statewide office in the US, is quitting politics to become a Jesuit. Apparently, he was accepted a year ago and was given a deferment to serve out his term before joining the order. Heā€™s been legally blind since he was eight due to childhood cancer.

I have nothing but respect for the Jesuits due to my time being taught by them, so I wish him nothing but the best in his future endeavors.

Currently on the uTubes - from 2014 - 8 ways the world could suddenly end

Good to see a pandemic comes in a #8 - so weā€™re relatively good yeah?

(but he was spot on with the cause)

1 Like

Now try getting this song out of your head! If anyone wants to join a Charmin Bear worship cult you just have to watch that video for an hour and accept the charmin bear kid as your new personal savior and you assoul will be saved.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/LawyerCat_/status/1241190229949571072?s=19

1 Like

POTY

( I was saving my 1st like for something great - but it seems Iā€™ve misclicked at couple of times - no offence :), but the look in Tiggers eyes and the context is beautifull)

1 Like

Is there somewhere we could have an Unstuck home game?

1 Like

I donā€™t think any US facing sites allow this, but there is software available for running your own which I might be willing to host. Iā€™ll look into it a bit more tomorrow.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks. (I meant to post this in the LC thread. Glad you found it.)