Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Reading further…

what kind of dystopic nightmare is California?

https://mobile.twitter.com/Pandamoanimum/status/1211993151457677313

2 Likes

https://mobile.twitter.com/EarthshotPrize/status/1211965239027257345

https://mobile.twitter.com/MishalHusain/status/1207207458654978051

I had to break a lease in Denver when I left Colorado and it was pretty much the same. I could stay on the hook for the rent for the rest of the lease hoping they rented the unit out or pay 2 or 3 month’s rent to be clear of it.

Which I suppose means I didn’t really break it, just got out of it early. Is there another definition of “breaking” a lease?

Well, one, Chicago spoiled me being the most pro-tenant place in the country.

Two, it wasn’t so much the lease-breaking as it was this sentence in one of the links:

In California, what you are and are not allowed to do is based on your lease rather than city or state laws.

1 Like

It’s a bit silly to compare, but this business of being on the hook for X number of months’ rent is strictly a feature of fixed-term lets here, and even then, if you’re in a fixed-term lease, there are steps you can take to convert it to a full “Part 4” tenancy (the good kind, where you have a ton of rights and some ways to end the tenancy in some circumstances). You guys need better tenancy laws, from what I can make out.

I have a lease that states I am supposed to be the only occupant, and ipso facto I cannot sublease either. Fine. Now I want to do this - but I know my friend will not pass a credit check. I want to get him in. What is the best way to accomplish this?

Are you leaving or is the friend moving in with you?

It’s disgusting, really. Motherfucker is telling Jmakin he can’t have friends crash on his couch. Like it’s not Jmakin’s home.

2 Likes

On the bright side it’s not Arkansas. There the landlord doesn’t need to fix the heat and can tell the tenants they can warm themselves with the light of God’s love and the judge will be all like I’LL ALLOW IT.

1 Like

Yeah, quiet and exclusive enjoyment etc. Having people over is a protected right here. It’s weird to me because there’s such a huge and long-established rental culture in the US, whereas it’s fairly new here for almost everyone (under 50) to be renting.

If you’re moving out of state and need to break a lease, just move. Give notice if you want, but there is really no reason to pay rent for the full term.

The micromanaging is still causing headaches for staffers and officials at top American outposts who are trying to navigate the task of pleasing both the State Department and the White House simultaneously—a mission that at times requires two completely different strategies, those sources said.

I believe that.

Do you think Paul actually took the time to check?

1 Like

Other than, you know, fulfilling the contract you signed with the rental agency.

1 Like

This seems totally wild and possibly illegal to me. I’m going to keep paying my rent by check the old fashioned way.

Paying almost anything at all through direct withdrawal is a very bad idea.

I asked a few people and they said it was standard. A check has all your banking info they need anyway. But yea doesnt leave me a lot of power I guess.

The landlord was nice. I sent a “hey, what’s the status on the heater?” And he was very apologetic and said he forgot during the holidays and offered to buy me a space heater. I said I understood and that I already had one but thanks for the offer. When he comes by to fix it, I’ll broach the subject about a roommate, maybe the small amount of goodwill I’ve built will tip the scales in my favor.

1 Like

Was not given a choice

The problem is this culture is based on people believing themselves not dying in a gutter is a privilege from on high and other people exploiting that belief.

It’s so ingrained here, like when people ask if the landlord can enter the property. “Of course they can’t enter your apartment, it’s YOUR apartment! You don’t lease a car and wake up to the dealership guy hanging out in the backseat! You don’t rent a movie from Blockbuster and wake up to the store owner watching it in the middle of the night! You paid somebody money for a home that is legally, temporarily, YOURS and your money spends like any other. You having a home isn’t the landlord doing you a favor.”

As you can see I started giving this rant a while ago because nobody rents movies from Blockbuster anymore.

8 Likes

That’s pretty scummy. It’s illegal to do that in Ontario.

It requires a level of trust I just wouldn’t have with the vast majority of landlords.

Yea I hated it. I liked the place a lot or I would have told them to fuck off. I asked if I could do paper check or even venmo, was a hard no. Pretty incredible given that their requirements was 5x the rent in savings (I have like 50x and proved it), a 750+ credit score, and no evictions. I had almost a perfect renter credit score.

1 Like