Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

dislike

Yeah, you’re right. I just saw it in the store and assumed iberico because it looked like an iberico that someone I know bought online. Come to think of it, now I’m not sure that my buddy’s wasn’t a serrano also.

I would love to try that Indian food on a banana leaf in India.

Also, this would not necessarily be a good thing, but I think that would make for a very successful food truck in hipsterland.

This list doesn’t seem that relevant. Denmark has two in the top 4, but Danish food is not in the conversation. I have no idea whether those restaurants are even Spanish food, but in any case you can base a fine dining restaurant around essentially any cuisine. The more relevant question for my post would be how many top tier restaurants OUTSIDE of Spain are based around Spanish food, vs like French, Italian, Japanese etc.

I think the meal itself doesn’t really lend itself to a food truck. It’s something you really need to eat sitting at a table (I guess if you want to go really authentic you could be sitting on a mat on the floor with your banana leaf in front of you - but in either case you’re seated and you’ve got some room).

I’ve seen a food truck that does the rice and like 3 sides in a partitioned box. It’s good, but it’s not quite the same experience.

I used to think I was missing out, being a timid eater and not trying much new stuff, then I read this thread and thank god I dodged the bullet of being a foodie. Worse than listening to people blather on about micro-brews or fucking coffee.

5 Likes

At one time French food might have been brought in from somewhere else and adapted.

I think the idea (from watching Bourdain rave about Spain) is that Spain is more living cuisine. Spanish techniques, sauces, etc. - are still being brought to bear to create new dishes or adapt food brought in from other cultures.

Korean tacos aren’t really American cuisine. But it would have been hard for them to happen anywhere but America. So does America make the list because of stuff like that? I think so.

Or something like that.

I had a friend in HS whose mum was from Syria and she made some of the most delicious food I’ve ever experienced.

They’re Spanish.

If nothing else, there are a fair number of spendy Spanish restaurants in America’s foodie cities:

It’s already 32 and it’s only 10am. Predicted 39 today. Thank goodness it cools down at night where I am.

There aren’t a lot of French-Americans but we still all know about croissants and crepes and fondue and cassoulets and stuff. Why hasn’t Spanish food broken into the public lexicon? I guess Spanish wine is pretty well-regraded.

Terrible news. Always the good guys.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2019/12/29/civil-rights-icon-rep-john-lewis-says-he-is-receiving-treatment-for-stage-4-pancreatic-cancer/

Enough tapas restaurants here in London. Not sure about Ohio.

Like I mentioned earlier, I’ve lived outside of Ohio. Spanish restaurants sure aren’t super common even in urban areas.

I guess the simple answer is that America isn’t the natural place for Spanish people to migrate to if they move for work etc as there are good options within the EU much closer to home that don’t require green cards, immigration etc.

That doesn’t explain why French cuisine has made inroads in the US and Spanish hasn’t. Feel like I’m repeating myself.

French cuisine has been around and lauded for a long time, more than long enough to filter its way across the Atlantic. Spanish cuisine is a more recent discovery for other nations.

I’m not saying Spanish food is its equal, far from it, but it’s a lot better than people here who have opinions of it based on seemingly very little, think.

Didn’t French cuisine take hold because of the arts & styles of the New York socialites?

2 Likes

If I had only lived in France I’d be asking why there aren’t many Indian restaurants about if it’s so good. Not sure one country is a guide even if it is USA number 1. There’s loads of tapas places here, and paella is probably the number one staple at places that serve prepared meals.

Edit - Actually it’s even worse for the true world leader, there’s one decent taco place in Paris (to my knowledge). One!

1 Like

As readers of Fitzgerald and his depictions of luxury holidays in the South of France know.

1 Like