Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

We could have a Ban All Badges badge (like some wore in the 70s).

1 Like

Somehow I made it a month in S. India w/o getting one of those.

You missed out imo. I think itā€™s mostly a Kerala thing.

eta: Just read through that wiki and what I had wasnā€™t anywhere near that elaborate. More like a 6-8 dishes and served in a basic cafeteria setting.

Iā€™m not considering only fine dining, but I do think it plays a role. When considering ā€œbest cuisine,ā€ I think itā€™s shortsighted to consider only street food, only mid range restaurants, or only high end dining. They all are representative of what ā€œItalian cuisineā€ or whatever means. Iā€™m not in here going to bat for Danish cuisine, despite having a couple of the very best restaurants in the world. Their lower end is pretty unremarkable.

French commoner food is amazing: boeuf bourginion, cassoulet, simple omelets, ratatouille, bouillabaisse, their immense cannon of pastries and cheeses, etc. Not to mention that basically everything at Thanksgiving is at least as French as it is American.

The fish curry I had in Ft. Kochi was probably the best dish of the trip.

Did you take this exact same picture in Kochi? I was quite pleased at the results I got with a cheap camera.

1 Like

Nah, itā€™s ubiquitous in all the states of South India. They all have their own name for it and the dishes served are different. But a meal consisting of rice and lots of sides on a Banana leaf is something that youā€™ll find easily everywhere all over the South.

Maybe I did eat that - just probably used a fork as a gauche American.

I saw that theyā€™re selling these at Costco. Imported from Spain. So at least someone is trying.

Costco is the only place Iā€™ve seen it in the US - and only at some Costcos. Itā€™s insane. But at $15/3oz package - I can $30 worth in about 10 minutes.

Iā€™m not talking about the 3oz package. Theyā€™re selling entire fucking hams. Very cheap too. I walked past because, while I like it, it would take me the better part of a year to get through it.

Lol how much is a whole ham?

That must be where a buddy of mine got his. Heā€™s been posting pics of him with his ham leg in various places - work, hot tub, etc.

https://slickdeals.net/f/12237034-noel-serrano-ham-bone-in-from-spain-14-7-17-lb-ham-stand-knife-cured-spanish-jamon-made-with-mediterranean-sea-salt-99-costco-b-m-ymmv

In the spirit of reading without context

I encourage everyone to madlib what suzzer finally got

Serrano is different than iberico - and a lot cheaper I think. Iberico is the black-hooved pigs that only eat acorns and beer, or something. You can definitely taste the nuttiness in the ham. To me serrano just takes like insanely good ham, but iberico has a unique nutty taste.

Canā€™t believe they left sardine cuisine off the list!

There arenā€™t a ton Spanish people in the US. But there are some Spanish restaurants in areas I frequent. Lol Ohio.

When I lived on the East Coast there sure werenā€™t very many Spanish restaurants. Maybe one tapas place for every 20 Ethiopian restaurants.

Also, Peruvian chicken places are pretty popular, even in lolOhio.

Serrano is definitely a lot cheaper. Aged Iberico de Bellotta is at least 10 times the price of Serrano ham. I love cheese and ham and getting the good stuff is ridiculously pricey in Australia. The better aged Iberico is $AU500/kg. Someone else can convert that to US prices.

More Ethiopians and Peruvians in the US than Spanish. Probably a lot of good international food in Spain. No one wants to leave and I think a lot of people want to go there. I do.

Well, Catalonia prolly.

1 Like