Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

There’s a wide range. I’m not well traveled internationally, but am in the United States. I know I can go to a Vietnamese restaurant in a not-Vietnamese area or go to a place in Orange County where the staff doesn’t speak English, the sign is not in English, and I’m the only non-Vietnamese person there. I can’t imagine that place is a pale imitation. And I can do the same for a dozen cuisines including Indian just a few miles away in Artesia.

I can’t exactly recall well enough to remember the taste, but I spent a week at an Indian friend’s (he was born in India) house when I was about 17 and the food his mom made was very interesting. It was probably the first time I ever had Indian food.

Leaving Indian food of a top 10 list is incredibly LOL.

So is judging Indian food by most of the Indian food you get in USA #1. Judging Indian food by what you get at a typical Indian lunch buffet (for example), as good as it often is, would be like judging Chinese food based on Panda Express, and I think everyone can agree that would be silly.

1 Like

Well, yes, but that’s because Wookie doesn’t know what he is talking about.

I’m not even going to begrudge him putting Indian under French or Spanish. It’s entirely possible one could have broad exposure to all and just prefer French or whatever. But the suggestion that Indian might not even be top 10 (considering all the diversity that covers – far more than French or Spanish) is ridiculous.

Sardine man hasn’t had grilled sardines yet. Definitely a leak, but at least you recognize it.

I guess part of the problem here is how picky you’re going to be on the definition of “fresh”. If you need them swimming around a few hours before consumption, that’s nontrivial.

1 Like

Well given your subpar Walrus tastes - I’m gonna take Tony Bourdain’s word over yours on that.

1 Like

I never implied otherwise?

Having been to Peru - I got kind of bored of the cuisine after a while.

Yep - another poster I know I can ignore when it comes to food tastes.

I’m always skeptical when someone says X food is elite but there’s no one trying to duplicate or export it. Like, why are there no Spanish restaurants near me.

1 Like

I’ve had some of the best Indian food in LA I assume since it’s the places my Indian coworkers sought out for special lunches and dinners. It was very good, but the food in India was an order of magnitude better.

However like others are saying - I was in South India which meant mostly fish curry and similar. If I wanted authentic biryiani or chicken tikka masala - I’d need to go north. Eating those things in South India isn’t much different than eating them in America. Although I did get it once and it was still amazing.

Gonna blow their minds when he gets a couple years under him and comes out strong for BLM.

This is generally true, but there are exceptions. Just like I’m sure there is the rare good barbeque spot in the Northern US (I’m not sure I’ve actually been to one, but I’m gonna assume they exist), there are rare good North Indian Restaurants in South India. For example, gregorio’s link shows an award-winning North Indian Restaurant in the South. It’s a very specific type of North Indian, though. So, it may not be exactly what you’re after.

When I finally go to Spain I’ll probably just eat iberico jamon all day and be perfectly happy.

I guess maybe the modern cuisine in Spain is more appealing to foodies than France because it’s more daring and still evolving - or something. Whereas they’re all kind of bored with France right now. Also tapas are a lot of fun.

20 years ago there were literally zero good BBQ places outside the traditional hot spots. I think this is because at that time most BBQ chefs were basically self-trained locals and a big part of the success was tied to their 40-year-old smoker, and input from other locals with high standards - which keeps the cuisine from slipping. When they move and the locals don’t know the difference, the food slips. That was always my working theory anyway.

But now you have people who win BBQ cookoffs moving to other places. For them it’s much more of a science and they seem to be able to keep the quality very high. However a lot of times for me the “soul” still isn’t there at these places. Very subjective of course.

Pretty much every breakfast. They don’t make it later in the day for some reason.

These traditional rules are one thing that often gets lost (and for the better imo) when a bunch of people move to a new place and make a hybrid cuisine. In Italy is you try to order a cappuccino after morning they look at you like you’re from Mars.

I might have had a brainfart there and responded to the wrong post idk.

WTF is going on with all these silly sticker things? Did we have a vote that didn’t involve cuse and BruceZ?

2 Likes

idk that either but they are annoying…

1 Like

Before we over-romanticize south Indian food, I should mention that you eat a meal like this with your bare hand (right hand only), and you usually need to wash the banana leave yourself before they start ladling stuff onto it.