Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Perú not being on the list is an automatic DQ.

These kinds of lists ard impossible tbh. A ten worst list would be massively easier imo.

1 Like

Been to Spain many times. Valencia and Sevilla definitely put Spain in the top 10. My top 3 is Japan, Italy and France and I can’t bother arguing the order of the three even though Kaiseki dinner in Kyoto was the best meal I ever had and I have had some amazing food over the years.

Agree with Greece not belonging at all. No idea why it would even be in a top 25.

Not been to Sevilla. Valencia I have been to but didn’t spend time trying to eat well. I ate at well regarded places in Barca and they were average at best. Same story from friends I have whose opinion I trust and who tried to eat well there. Spanish food also doesn’t have the fine dining influence worldwide that Italy and France have, clearly. Perhaps this all reflects my experience though.

Bang per buck of population might be an interesting question but it’ll just be France and Italy up top again I suspect.

lol at putting Vietnamese on that list. And most Asian cuisine is way overrated. Especially Thai.

The stuff they serve in the US is pretty amazing, so I have to assume the real deal Indian food is truly outstanding.

Places I’ve been (Not fair to judge cuisine based on whatever version is being served in the US, IMO):

1. France

2. Italy

3. Caribbean

4. England

5. Scotland

1 Like

I like most Indian food I’ve had in the US, but there are certain dishes, like many of the curry based ones, where if blindfolded I would be unable to distinguish from Thai curry dishes. But I’ve also never had Thai outside the US so it could just be that they’re Americanized :man_shrugging:

Just off the top of my head, anybody accustomed to getting naan with their meal might have their mind asplode if they got good paratha instead.

I had some amazing food when I was there that I had never seen anything like in the US, especially in the southern part of the country. I had no idea what most of it was. I’d just point, eat, and be happy. I think there is an enormous depth to the food that we’ve barely begun to appreciate in the west, similar to how interior Mexican food was largely unknown here 30 years ago.

Indian food is also the only world cuisine where I could imagine myself being content as a vegetarian.

5 Likes

The stick to sports crew want Lamar Jackson to run for office!?! Wtf is this shit

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/475839-baltimore-needs-lamar-jackson-like-figure-to-save-it?amp=

1 Like

For me, eating out in Italy was as much about the experience as the food itself. It’s been a while but from what I remember I never spent less than ~two hours in a “ristorante” and that was a “quick” meal. Also there are variations between Northern and Southern Italy like the language itself

1 Like
2 Likes

2 Likes

I respect the artistry that goes into Japanese food, but it’s just not for me. I’d rather have Korean tbqh.

1 Like

Ethiopian is my answer for this question (though the meat dishes are amazing too).

I know when I’m craving Chinese food I can usually do Vietnamese or Thai and satisfy it, even though they can be pretty different.

Indian flavors are so unique that only Indian food will satisfy the craving for it.

Persian would be on my top 10 list too.

The problem here is that all of these are extremely close to each other (all are top tier food, particularly if done right) which makes ranking them basically pointless.

None of us will ever eat every type of food human beings in their almost infinite creativity have dreamed up, or even get close really… almost every place that had access to great ingredients (and I suspect that if you are looking for the best food on earth you’re really looking for the humans that have had great ingredients widely available the longest) has great cuisine.

This is definitely the reason why shitting on Indian food is mega dumb. They are the origin point for the global spice trade for most of human history lol. Also Americanized Indian restaurants are super hit or miss. I lived in Austin from March until a week ago before finally finding one that didn’t suck. The issue is that the Indian idea of the American palate isn’t very flattering. Basically we had to find an Indian place whose customer base is mostly Indian (in this case Pakistani).

Unsurprisingly given the fact that it’s a massive subcontinent that is the starting point for the global spice trade for thousands of years every single region of India has massively different food, and the key thing in the US is to not get handed an insufficiently spiced bowl of tomato-cream sauce that just sucks. If you can get anything close to the food they serve over there you’ll be more than happy.

Uh

1. Mirazur (Menton, France)
  2. Noma (Copenhgagen, Denmark)
    3. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain)
  3. Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand)
  4. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
  5. Central (Lima, Peru)
    7. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
  6. Arpège (Paris, France)
    9. Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
  7. Maido (Lima, Peru)
  8. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
  9. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
  10. White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
    14. Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
  11. Septime (Paris, France)
  12. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
  13. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
  14. Odette (Singapore)
  15. Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia)
    20. Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)

That’s exactly what lists like this mean. But since they are totally subjective you are not required to stop eating food you like in order to eat food you don’t like.

Indian food is going to be judged less accurately if viewed through the prism of restaurant food. The cuisine feels more oriented towards home cooking.