Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Post your work in the good food thread. Mine speaks for itself. France ~ Spain > Italy.

Bourdain was #TeamSpain FWIW.

1 Like

Would take India and Greece off the list and replace with Vietnam and Ethiopia.

1 Like

Greece is like the WOAT Mediterranean cuisine. Thai >> Japan.

my local Indian buffet is sooooo good.

there’s this orange-in-color chicken dish, and the orange is a pastel color because of the creme ingredient.

they just recently added a new dish, and it’s unreal good. again chicken fundament (lmao) with a light brown coffee flavored sauce (or something close, I can’t definitively place the flavor.)

This discussion reminds me of an idea I had for a food madness thread. The question for each pairing is: “Which food item do you pick if you can’t eat the other one for the rest of your life?”
Is there interest in something like this?

6 Likes

That’s true for a lot of countries though. Spain, Italy, US, China all have significant regional differences.

When talking about vaccines, people tend to think of measles by default. But the measles vaccine is like the gold standard in terms of effectiveness and providing lifelong immunity.

This article makes a big deal about 100% of the school being vaccinated but fails to mention:

1. The pertussis vaccine just isn’t that effective, like 75% or something, way lower than measles
  2. Protection wears off after a few years so you have to get boosters to stay immunized

It does say that vaccinated people who get pertussis anyway usually have much milder symptoms, which is a pretty important fact.

So yeah that’s a bad article but maybe more foxnews-ignorant than anti-vaxx. Or maybe both.

I’ve had whooping cough (as an adult) and it’s no joke. :mask:

I felt a sudden existential shudder when I realized an American hamburger might be my favorite meal

17% of the world’s population lives in India. Deprecating all its food based on what’s served at US strip mall lunch buffets is really silly.

3 Likes

Japanese food needs to be in the top 3 and definitely above China. Greek food doesn’t deserve to be on the list. Vietnamese and at least one African cuisine needs to be on it.

OK, what is either a street or haute cuisine Indian dish that would blow the mind of an American with only a casual understanding of “Indian” food?

How many of you guys have actually been to Spain? The food there is generally atrocious. Even at its best, putting it on par with heavyweights like Italy and France is lol. Greece can gtfo of that list as well. Add Ethiopia, maybe Vietnam, maybe Malaysia. US is probably too low, largely because it’s a big diverse country with a lot of unique offerings.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s necessarily the way to judge a cuisine. I think Indian food doesn’t hit the heights of like great French cooking, but it’s a broad range of dishes many of which are unlike anything found anywhere else. It’s contribution to diversity rather than sublime food. Compare and contrast with like Spanish food, it’s hard to say it’s exactly revolutionary compared to other Mediterranean offerings and it’s just worse than Italian and French subtlety-wise as well.

1 Like

If you had to nominate 5 cuisines to eat for the rest of your life, choosing Indian as one would be extremely reasonable, whereas choosing Greek would be super lol.

Have you been to India? I haven’t but good friends whose opinions about Indian food I value assure me it’s orders of magnitude better than the best here (UK), and the latter is pretty good.

1 Like

I have several times and the food eg small plates in Seville can be really top notch.

Some of the best food I’ve ever eaten, including some very highly rated restaurants.

1 Like

Dude seriously.

The foreign fare you get in America is often/usually a pale imitation.

I have started the thread:

Indian food is some of the best flavours in the world tbh, its so good and a tip is to try out there modern take on vegan food and Boom, we have a winner… :joy:

Now overall I’d rather eat Italian or French food tbh as the spice is not for me long term but during this holiday season when eating out its got to be Indian.