Winter cricket and bridge thread - Held over by popular demand

Probably because people with Chinese ancestry speak so many different languages.

eta: ditto for India.

Gee wonder why DemE folks are widely despised

I would have maybe thought so and maybe it is, but the map just puts “Chinese”. Still, just a ton of Mandarin in LA. The Tagalog isn’t as obvious because such a high percentage of Filipino speak English and don’t live in ethnic neighborhoods as much.

There’s a ton of people from the Azores on the east coast right?

When I’m out hiking I hear Spanish >>> Chinese > Tagalog > Japanese >>> Russian >>>>> everything else. Probably some Korean in there that I think is Chinese or Japanese.

For language counting purposes, generally the different dialects of Chinese all count as Chinese. On the other hand, the different languages of India are mostly counted as distinctly different languages.

Whether that’s right or wrong (in the case of Chinese) is probably a complicated linguistic debate, but what I’m talking about is lists like this one:

You can see that Chinese is all lumped together, but there are different Indian languages on the list.

There are a lot of tourists in the National Parks. I think Suzzer is talking about more local hikes.

1 Like

Yes

When did the meaning of “eta” change? I’m still stuck in the days of “estimated time of arrival” and don’t know how it’s used now. No I’m not going to Google it.

1 Like

‘edited to add’ and I mean, the original still works, not too many contexts where you’d confuse them.

1 Like

Seems like a useless acronym. What’s wrong with “edit:”? Too many acronyms is why Trump won.

6 Likes

I may have told this story before …

One time when working at a large consulting firm I was interviewing a guy for a position. I can’t remember where he was from, maybe Afghanistan. The interview went well, or so I thought, and he was a pretty good candidate.

Near the end of the interview I asked him if he had any final questions for me. He said he had just one. “Why do you keep calling me ‘Fanoo’? That is not my name.”

I looked down at the information on him provided by HR and it listed his name as ‘Fnu Abdallah’ (or something like that). I apologized if I was mispronouncing his name.

He glanced at the paper and told me that “FNU” stands for “First Name Unknown” which was listed on some government document (maybe his passport).

Most awkward interview ending ever.

6 Likes

I learned this a few years ago as well but the guy was basically fine with going by Fnu

Seems like an overreaction on your part. Guy probably saw it as a mistake.

Remember hearing about that on an episode of Last Week Tonight.

My father-in-law had a massive stroke in 1998 and one of his doctors was, I shit you not, Dr. Pepper. MIL called him Dr. Pepsi one day. We all giggled, but Dr. P was not amused. She also watched a feel-good news story on April 1, 2017 and was under the impression that marshmallows grew on trees for several days.

1 Like

Mother-in-law jokes.

WTF

e class="onebox allowlistedgeneric" data-onebox-src="https://www.tmz.com/2020/01/26/kobe-bryant-killed-dead-helicopter-crash-in-calabasas/">
TMZ
1 Like

never fly in a helicopter.

That seems pretty damn safe. Way better than driving in a car.