Who will run in 2020?

Did a Bernie supporter hurt you in the past?

2 Likes

Some of them are vegans.

3 Likes

That’s an interesting article. I wonder what percentage of the Bernie vote was (and is) a “Fuck all of them vote” against the generic GOP/Dem sort of politician - which at the time might have pushed them in Trump’s direction (kind of the epitome of the "fuck them all candidate with the fact that he ran as the GOP candidate completely irrelevant to Bernie voters).

Thanks for posting the article.

MM MD

dude the numbers speak for themselves. Like I said, I am protesting the opinion that “protest votes don’t matter.” they clearly do, by the numbers. That isn’t disinformation and I do not like the characterization.

dude, this is just my opinion. From reading here and from all my IRL acquaintances and friends, which TO BE FAIR is not large, bernie diehards strike me as pretty low info, uneducated people. If that venn diagram has a lot of overlap - then it just cements that feeling. It’s not stats backed, it’s just a feeling I have, clearly.

1 Like

My point was that protest votes matter. Where, please tell me, in that article is that disputed? just look at the numbers. Even making the most conservative assumptions, they mattered.

Please note I chose that source because it’s wapo, and analyzes both sides very fairly (a little too fairly IMO). I could have dug up a lot more that supports what I am saying in a much stronger voice. But I’m just interested in what the statistics say and that was a source I knew would fly here.

How do you define what a protest vote because that’s where some of the confusion in all this might be

Staying home or voting for trump is a protest vote for trump. Or some loser third party nobody counts as staying home to me.

jmakin is now seriously claiming Bernie supporters are low info and uneducated

Don’t think this is gonna end well for you my dude

3 Likes

Like I said, my opinion, which is not based entirely on fact. Last I checked we were still allowed to have those, unless I am somehow threatening violence somewhere.

But why

Dude, I am coming from a district and a county (Orange) where midterms I volunteered to help out with were decided by tens or hundreds of votes. Of course protest votes matter, even in a general election. I am making the case they probably mattered in 2016.

Lost me here. I wouldn’t call a vote for one of the two major party candidates a “protest vote,” but obviously if you do it will lead to the conclusion that protest votes helped Trump win, because ldo.

Everyone else is using protest vote to mean a 3rd party candidate vote afaict.

1 Like

GOPete getting me extra tilted this morning with that ad. Lest we remember that the dude literally wrote an award winning essay about the courage of Bernie Sanders while he was in highschool less than 20 years ago. I wonder if any highschooler out there will win an award for writing an essay about Pete’s transition to the sellout coward he is today.

WAAF if he or Biden get the nom, truly

4 Likes

Hmmm… :thinking:

1 Like

The problem with this discussion is Jmakin thinking everything would be great if only Hillary would of won.

2 Likes

yea ok. Talking about two different things. Good try though.

I have had this exact discussion with jmakin before. He knows.

If protest votes didn’t matter, they wouldn’t really be protest votes, or at least they wouldn’t be anything to really care about. I doubt there’s a slam dunk case that Bernie specific protest voters cost Clinton the election, although if you add Stein people to the protest voter pool I think you can make that case. Maybe some of you LOL kids don’t remember Ralph Nader, an anti-corporatist candidate who got 97k votes in Florida in 2000, a state that Al Gore “lost” by 537 votes, losing the election to George W Bush.

What is the point though of aggressively arguing that Bernie didn’t cost Clinton the election and arguing in favor of protest voting? If not voting for Clinton as a protest was a good thing, it doesn’t matter one way or the other if Bernie protest voters cost her the election.

1 Like