Who will run in 2020?

Of course it is.

Outright saying that true M4A isn’t even going to be fought for until 2023? WTF fight for it now.

Lowering Medicare age to 50? I’m sure millennials will love that proposal. More stuff for Boomers that young people don’t get. Yay.

Have I said I’m against doing the most we can in the first 100 days? We need to fight not give up and concede to a compromise position. Whatever position we start from, we’ll end up shifting right from there. We should start from the preferred position. At this rate if she’s the nominee we’ll get another shift right in the general and we’ll end up patching up the ACA again.

If we go into the next presidency fighting for single payer we may get a decent step forward and a chance at single payer in the next decade.

At this rate I should just support the M4A 50+. I’m only 17 years away and these clowns aren’t going to get single payer done in the next 17 years the way they’re going anyway.

That’s our generation’s purpose in life as far as I can tell… Picking up the tab for the Boomers.

Um, no? But the left already is negotiating against itself. That’s what the primary is.

Again, I get it. Refusing to go beyond the simple slogan is probably the winning strat here (though he should certainly add something along the lines of Trump’s “And Mexico will pay for it!”) as is refusing to concede publicly that any kind of concession is possible.

I just don’t see why it’s so upsetting that some lefties are curious about what the political reality will be once Sanders gets into office. I’m not calling him a phony or anything. The kneejerk vitriol of his supporters is so offputting.

1 Like

M4A50+ would be great for me, but I want it for everyone. As Eugene Debs said, while there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal class, I am of it, while there is a soul in prison, I am not free, and while someone is not getting health care, I’m not getting health care." Or something like that.

5 Likes

Seems like you’re arguing both sides of the same position here. You said we can’t have a legislative battle over two healthcare bills in the first term, but that’s exactly what happens in your preferred scenario. Sanders gets into office, fights for his single payer bill, fails, then having a spent a bunch of political capital says okay let’s do a public option bill. There isn’t infinity time. Unless you’re saying he should say “yes single payer in the first 100 days” on the campaign trail, and not even try when the Senate tells him it’s not happening, which would be a betrayal and politically damaging.

They might lose the senate either way (though 2022 is the best of the 3 maps for D pickups).

Which makes it even more imperative that when they have power, that THEY FUCKING USE IT.

The GOP has no problem doing that. Look at the horror shows that are being confirmed for lifetime judicial appointments.

Ram M4A down everyone’s throat. People will like it eventually. No country with universal healthcare has said “hey, we’d rather have a US model of inefficiency, bankruptcies and worse outcomes”.

3 Likes

This is the outcome I’m hoping for. Hopefully all the required pieces are in place.

It was more significant than a 12 tweet outline though

1 Like

I’m curious about this as well and I would like to hear his answer. But to say Warren’s shift is just explaining this is not accurate. She moved her position.

And this attitude that we can’t get single payer done just speaks to the ineptitude (just kidding, complicity) of the Democratic establishment. True Medicare for All has polled so well when it’s branded right, like I’m talking a majority of Republican voters supported it.

Imagine the GOP having an issue a majority of Dems supported and negotiating with themselves to avoid truly going for it because they view it as an impossible lift.

1 Like

And in April Bernie introduced a M4A bill in the Senate that has 14 co-sponsors, including, wait for it, Elizabeth Warren. Pretending like all Bernie has is some tweets is BS.

2 Likes

Not really. Once we pass something the zeal will be gone on the left and the anger and energy to reverse it will go up on the right. So failing on single payer will not sap us of the chance to do something the way passing a half measure will.

Also if you know you don’t have the numbers in the Senate it’s not a tough fight, you just put it to a vote to show everyone where everyone stands. It could be done in a few weeks. Then you start the process of figuring out what can get done.

Also I don’t think the fallback should be just a public option and lowering the Medicare age. Make it that plus continuing to lower the Medicare age every few years. Make it 50 in 2021, 40 in 2023 and 30 in 2025. Say “Hey, if it’s unpopular it’ll be really easy to pass a bill cancelling those phase ins.”

Then fight from there. Or you could raise the income barrier on the bottom end to get more people on it that way, while also subsidizing the public option for more people.

These are things someone who wants true single payer ASAP can and should fight for. We don’t give up on them right away because some eDem strategist wants us to sing kumbaya with the likes of Marco Rubio and hold hands with the Big Pharma people bundling big donations to Schumer and the DNC.

People also act like we’re doomed if the Senate is 51-49 or something, as if the president can’t change the makeup of the Senate a bit around the margins.

Ok, good talk.

Really disappointed in Warren. Hopefully this moves some voters off her to Bernie at least. That would be a silver lining. Hard to see her losing any voters to the right because of this.

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/DPRK_News/status/1195469496103899136

Itt:

1 Like

Agreed, but she’s almost certainly lost my primary vote over this.

Still a few months away before I cast my ballot, but I think the only way I’d vote for her now would be a scenario where I need employ a defensive tactic against Biden or Pete.

And if Warren does end up being the nominee, my enthusiasm for casting my vote in the general election has plummeted. (I’ll still do it of course. Others may not.)

2 Likes

Don’t see the source, but this is the kind of thing I mean by how she already made single payer less likely. Now it’s just crazy Bernie and his army of children who think it’s possible.

:heart: you guys but you are fucking babies, your enthusiasm has plummeted? I’d be so ecstatic to vote for Warren in the GE still that I might need both halfs of the perforated paper towel.

10 Likes