Who will run in 2020?

I think that it IS there, but 18 months of concern trolling in the media about electability and whether the party is ready to elect a progressive dampens it and really wears people down.

But I agree that Biden is probably the favorite, not over 50% though imo.

The fact that anyone prefers the plan on the right to the plan on the left may be a political reality but saying you personally prefer a vague unrealistic one liner to a detailed description of things we might be able to accomplish if the stars align doesnā€™t reflect positively on this forum as a home of high reasoned political thought. Everyone jumping off the Warren train because of a misrepresentation of her actual plan even less so.

7 Likes

She apparently misrepresented her actual plan for a while to appeal to liberalsā€¦ or sheā€™s misrepresenting it now to appeal to moderates. Iā€™m not interested in gambling with my vote on which is which. Itā€™s not like Warren was pressed in a debate or in an interview for what sheā€™d do if the Senate is against her or 50-50 and she doesnā€™t have the votes for true M4A, she just decided to water down her position on her own.

As for a vague, unrealistic one-liner. Is it? Maybe. Maybe not. Press him on it, and see what he says. Maybe heā€™ll put the screws to every Democratic senator. Maybe heā€™ll refuse to move on anything less substantial until that gets an up or down vote, then heā€™ll work within the constraints of what is doable.

But either way, I know where Bernie stands on the issue. I know what he thinks is the best solution (and heā€™s right by the way). I know what heā€™ll fight for.

Now all I know about Liz is that she really really really wants to be president very badly and sheā€™ll flip flop some positions to make it happen if she has toā€¦ even the most important position to her base.

Normally itā€™s not until the general election that the Democratic candidate pisses off their base by moving to the center from their primary position. Sheā€™s doing it just over 11 weeks BEFORE the Iowa caucusā€¦

3 Likes

And what does he do the next week and the week after that when itā€™s clear heā€™ll never get it through Congress? Looking forward to that tweet.

1 Like

All of these moderate arguments boil down to ā€œyou canā€™t advocate for good policies if Republicans still exist in Congressā€.

Like ā€œah, but have you considered that your bill might not pass? What then!ā€ a.) is a really convenient way to avoid having to discuss which policy is actually better and b.) equally applies to these half measure public option plans.

2 Likes

lolwut

Her previous plan was to sign on to Bernieā€™s plan, and her new plan is not as different as youā€™re making it out to be.

The criticism that the plans from a Presidential candidate are insufficiently detailed is wrong headed imo. Executive branch doesnā€™t/shouldnā€™t write legislation. It was a fault of the Obama administration that they drafted legislation that was literally thousands of pages long, not an accomplishment.

The New Deal didnā€™t start itā€™s life as a huge document.

1 Like

And lol at the electorate being detail oriented

1 Like

This is probably the truest take. Slogans are enough, I guess. And probably the only thing that will work.

Isnā€™t there a little disconnect between these two takes:

1. None of this legislation is actually going to pass

2. Letā€™s expect fully drafted legislation and act like weā€™re voting on it right now.

?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1195348629298589698?s=19

3 Likes

Compromise to the plan Warren just laid out?

That would be acceptable to me. But starting from the compromise position is just unfathomable to me. It shows an unwillingness to fight. Itā€™s 2019; we have evidence from the past decade+ on what happens when you try to negotiate in good faith with Republicans. Itā€™s time to wake the fuck up.

4 Likes

Right. Warrenā€™s plan still abolishes private insurance and institutes single payer. It makes no sense to act like this plan is a craven political move, because she still has to eat attacks from Biden and Pete about it being too expensive and depriving people of their precious private health insurance, and now she will also eat attacks on her sincerity from the left.

What this actually is, imo, is Warrenā€™s honest assessment of how to do the most good and create the greatest chance of single payer happening in a world where everyone agrees that single payer in the first 100 days is not happening under any President.

4 Likes

Lol @ Warrenā€™s plan being a negotiate with Republicans plan. Like where the fuck does this bullshit come from?

That is not the point.

So to be clear here your position is that the left should start negotiating against itself 14 months before the next president takes office?

Cause Iā€™ve got news for you, the GOP response to all of it is going to be ā€œNo.ā€

No, it doesnā€™t. It pretends it wants to. We all know thereā€™s no way weā€™re passing two major healthcare bills in one term. In fact, it sounds like a great way to mess around and lose the Senate in the midterm.

2 Likes

Giving people something way way better than the status quo sounds like a better way to win the midterms than spending your first 100 days failing to do something.

She purports to support single payer. Sheā€™s moving to the right on the issue. I mean the GOP has no plan and will never move from that position so really sheā€™s negotiating with herself.