Who will run in 2020?

Oz is a quack but I think going on his show has some potential upside in increasing name recognition, and very little downside. At worst he gets ignored by people who only tuned in for the story on the newest acai-coffee-butterfly-shit enema breakthrough that will change your life!

candidates have been going on Ellenā€™s show for a long time.

BuT tHaT wAs BeFoRe We KnEw ElLeN wAs A wAlKiNg CoNtRaDiCtIoN PiEcE oF HuMaN gArBaGe LiKe LiTeRaLlY eVeRy HuMaN bEfOrE hEr.

Yeah, Maybe he should. Or Maybe he got a late start in politics and realizes everything is fucked up, the meritocracy isnā€™t real, and normal people are and will be fucked if we donā€™t change things.

Even though he wonā€™t win he is changing the conversation in a lot of political discourse.

In fairness, this is a good retort :grinning:

2 Likes

I mean those legit shows are meant to highlight celebrity appearances for PR purposes (the Oprah show routinely gives unironic appearances to bad people like David Brooks as she pumps them up as awesome, so itā€™s the closest allegory).

Dr. Oz is pushing junk medicine and all sorts of other garbage. Itā€™s not meant for PR purposes. Itā€™s where you go if no one else takes you seriously. Judgment, itā€™s a thing.

Do you actually understand why people find Doc Oz and his show objectionable? Like heā€™s a fucking scam artist who preys on sick people. Iā€™m not a huge Ellen fan these days, but sheā€™s not hocking snake oil on her show.

This is Chefā€™s Kiss bro, just an absolute fucking Chefā€™s Kiss.

This is exactly where candidates should be going, a puff talk show meant to do PR for celebrities. Now youā€™re getting it.

Now, if you could help SK out that The View is a show with a lot of political talk on it and that itā€™s appropriate for politicians to platform there it would really do the community a solid.

1 Like

Yes

I still think getting his message out to Ozā€™s audience isnā€™t egregious.

I think itā€™s pretty weird for a guy with a net worth in the low millions who has never run for anything to say ā€˜president, thatā€™s what I should beā€™. But thatā€™s just me.

2 Likes

Donā€™t worry everyone, thereā€™s a debate tonight (which I know has itā€™s own thread) and hopefully that will generate enough buzz that we can talk about something other than the morning/afternoon shows that the candidates appear on.

Because they eat up snake oil?

What should he be worth for him to be ā€œworthyā€ of running for president in your eyes?

I apologize for derailing the thread. Iā€™m out.

Has nothing to do with worth. It makes one wonder why this random guy with a couple million bucks is doing this. Itā€™s great PR for his next business venture though. Like he is probably the only person in history to come out of nowhere, have very little money in the grand scheme of things, and is saying he knows more than anyone else to become president.

If he were a billionaire, Iā€™d find it less strange, because those people feel like they are entitled to it. In general, a political campaign can break your family, and/or your bank. Itā€™s much easier when youā€™ve actually got a track record, and I feel he really put himself at major financial risk to do this.

Read his book ā€œThe War on Normal Peopleā€ and you might get some insight.

This was wrong, as was going on Joe Rogan. Rogan is more defensible I guess in that Rogan himself hasnā€™t said anything too outrageous (that Iā€™m aware of) but he gives a platform to shitty people.

In any case this whole conversation is very low on my list of things to be angry about.

Shocked this thread is getting crapflooded by lulsi and neetbux garbage today!

2 Likes

I gotta sayā€¦ every person calling to write off Yang for going on doctor Oz had already written him off. Whatever as long as youā€™re willing to support Warren instead Iā€™m not going to bother trying to change your mind.