Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

https://mobile.twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1255287847894073344

1 Like

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1255225522919006210

1 Like

I’m all for defunding NPR at this point. Fuck off.

1 Like

Sounds legit:

I mean it’s a news service aimed squarely at the Karen demographic… and at this point Karen’s provide the majority of the funding through donations anyway.

Untitled

Sounds like the internet detectives nailed it, afaict.

2 Likes

First, Sky Marietta, owner of Moonbow Tipple Coffee and Sweets

yeah that’s gonna be a no from me dawg

2 Likes

I wonder many employees she had? It is a bit depressing that for the cost of 1 developer you can run a coffee shop.

The target NPR listener is a 40-55 year old white woman with a college degree whose household income is 150k+. I’ll happily agree the Karen thing is overapplied but that’s not the case here. NPR is aimed squarely at middle aged upper middle class white women as they are the vast majority of the donor base.

Not the listening audience, but the people they are targeting. NPR’s budget really is incredibly dependent on the whale donors in this demographic. I’m not pulling this out of my ass either. There was a whole article about it a few years back. They’ve got a name (it isn’t Karen that I recall) to describe their key core listener internally and she gets a lot of consideration in internal meetings at NPR.

The truth is NPR really doesn’t get very much funding from the government relative to the size of its budget. It’s the core donors private radio station don’t kid yourself.

I mean just look at the story we’re criticizing. It is targeted, squarely, at the demos viewpoint. It’s told from the perspective of a highly educated upper middle class white woman who owns a hobbyist coffee shop in a mid sized town in KY. The only question I need to answer to determine if she’s actually in the core demo is how old she is. Betcha anything she’s right there in the donor demo. I’d offer 1:1 odds that she drives a later model foreign car with an NPR bumper sticker lol.

loooool I saw that name and thought, “What is this? A coffee and pastry shop that’s actually a front for an even worse coffee and pastry shop?”

6 Likes

But seriously Walter White wishes he’d thought of that it would be perfect.

There’s a place like that on the main drag in my little town. It never ever has more than one car out front but has been open since I’ve lived there roughly ~4 years. I have nfi how it stays in business. I’ve always assumed it’s a front for something.

Much to my shame, I couldn’t resist clicking on that yesterday. I can’t recall what his argument was. I really try to not click on his and Hugh Hewitt’s opinions because they are so trolly. WaPo has some really lame opinion writers.

At what clip could the general public guess this guy’s party affiliation based solely on this picture? 80%? Higher or lower?

1 Like

omg I can’t get enough of these moonbow tipple people

We had to do just enough to make it a good customer experience until the business owner could settle into something more permanent; because it would be imperfect there was no lease and no rent. We would fix the floors and stage, install bathrooms, put in a HVAC system, update the lights, get electric and internet fully going, as well as patch up the roof. Geoff estimated it would cost $50,000.

1 Like

Too bad it fits even better than OK Boomer does…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/04/29/dissecting-laura-ingrahams-attempt-gin-up-mystery-around-coronavirus-new-york/

In 2012, I quit my job in investment banking and retired at 34. A few years later, my wife also left her job and joined me in early retirement. We had a net worth of about $3 million.

For nearly eight years, we saw our passive income streams (mostly from dividend-paying stocks, interest from savings, municipal bonds and rental income) grow steadily. Then came the financial consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

While we feel very fortunate that the economic downturn hasn’t affected us as severely as it has for other families, we still lost a ton of money and must now prepare for the worst.

How Covid-19 negatively affected our finances and lifestyle

1. We lost more than $600,000.

When the S&P 500 took a massive dip in March, we experienced a 30% drop in our stock portfolio … and lost more than $600,000.

Even though we have a pretty conservative portfolio (with about 20% of our net worth in equities), losing hundreds of thousands of dollars on our existing equity exposure was still very painful.

Yes, we should definitely commiserate with someone who retired with a $3 million net worth and whose net worth has fallen to [checks notes] ~$10 million.

8 Likes

Personally I would love to see more interviews with the “I ate cat food and slept under a bridge for 5 years so I could retire at 37” crowd. Those dudes are (or at least were) smug as hell about their approach and insisting their plan was fine.

Yeah, seriously. “I’m 100% equities, I can handle it.” Paging the narrator.