Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

Jesus both those stories are pure propaganda.

https://x.com/DeanBaker13/status/1799605087607611456

https://x.com/DeanBaker13/status/1799606084145123423

4 Likes

A recent study indicates that as much as 25% of Generation Z job applicants have brought a parent with them to a job interview in the past year.

That can’t be real.

As per Gen Z definition they can be as young as 12-14 so I have no problem with people under 16 bringing their parent to a job interview.

1 Like

Gen Z goes from ages 12-27, so I can believe that. And this is not a hot take, but the “blame” for this lies with the parents, not the kids.

12-14 year olds can only work for their families as far as I know.

But yeah I wasn’t thinking about 16-year-olds applying at Sbarro. If that’s the bulk of these then that “study” is being really deceptive. I immediately assumed someone interviewing for an office job.

Just a few weeks ago my wife nearly intervened in a job situation with our 15 year old, and would have done so if not for my presence.

This could be interpreted in different ways.

A. “My wife was going to overstep boundaries, but I got her to agree to let our kid handle it.”

B. “I broke the manager’s jaw before my wife got out of the restroom.”

2 Likes

Ha, it was A.

It really depends what it means to bring a parent to a job interview. It could be as simple as having your parent drive you and wait in the car (or maybe the lobby) while you do your interview. That doesn’t seem weird at all.

Same with the other stuff mentioned about filling out job applications (I had my parents help with that after college because they knew what they were doing so why not get some free help).

From the actual poll:

“For those who had a parent come to an in-person interview, 37% say that their parent accompanied them to the office, 26% say their parent physically sat in the interview room, and 18% say their parent introduced themselves to the manager. Additionally, 7% say their parents answered questions.”

I’d hope the 26% that had them sit in the interview room, were kids under 18, cause that seems weird.

1 Like

Yeah I have no problem with a parent showing up in that spot. I’d advise against it. But it’s not the same as the mental image they know they’re creating of someone interviewing for a serious adult job and having their parent with them.

The first real job the kid I had in my life got was a hostess at a club where the 29-year-old bartender was hitting on her and everyone was doing coke. As a parent, I might want to scope out the situation for something like that.

She lasted a week I think. I was very relieved.

1 Like

Definitely seems weird but I feel pretty confident assuming it’s out-of-context Boomer bait.

1 Like

I’m trying to remember when I was applying for fast food jobs as a teen, but I’m sure it would have been humiliating to have mom sit in on the interview.

1 Like

I would kill myself before I let my mom go on a job interview with me.

10 Likes

obvious

this is absolutely bullshit, the number just keeps going up, when I saw this last night it was 19%, it will be 45% tomorrow

And the article specifically mentions Zoom interviews, which is a whole different thing. Yea, of course some college seniors living at home with their parents are going to have them listen in on their job interview.

I remember my first job offer after college came with a full packet of benefits that I had no clue how to interpret, so the first thing I did was show it to my parents and ask what they thought. Same idea, different technological environment.

ok boomer

1 Like

This was the version I saw posted by a right wing gun nut guy on facebook. Claims it was college grads, but this one also says it polled employers but the questions above sound like they were asked to the interviewees. The whole thing is cleary just rage bait a la CRT/kids are woke/participation trophies are wussifying our kids/etc

1 Like