Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

With crushed garlic and thyme. I think I learned that from the steak thread like 15ish years ago.

What’s your definition of basting?

Nob of butter in the pan and crushed garlic and thyme over the steak. Tilt the pan and use a small spoon to baste the butter over the thyme and garlic on top of the steak. Also rest the steak with the garlic and thyme still on top.

Go read the steak thread lol

Heh heh. You said nob.

1 Like

The techinque described in the article is a perfectly legitimate method and some people do it sometimes, but I would say that they generally don’t because of the variety of preparation methods that exist.

It’s summer. Get the charcoal on!
Some marbling on the steaks; ripping hot grill and flip a few times. The occasional fat flames are ok.
Been turning out great. No basting obv.

I’m a pan steaker sometimes I baste sometimes I don’t. It’s definitely not the secret to making the perfect steak or whatever that article is claiming.

limit your flipping. Sear for 1-2 minutes, flip and sear for 1-2 minutes, turn heat down and cook and then flip and continue to cook. That’s two total flips.
You should also be turning it halfway between the sears and the cooking so 4 turns.

Picanha is my new favourite to bbq:
Completely cover picanha in salt, sear for 2 minutes a side, fat cap for 1 minute so 9 minutes total ( it’s a triangular prism usually so 5 sides). Turn off middle burners and cook fat side up off heat for 30-45 minutes depending on thickness and keep bbq between 380-410 F with outside burners. Turn roughly every 10-15 minutes.

Then bang the steak on a cutting board to remove the excess salt and cut off fat cap and slice and serve.

I get my picanha shipped from Australia in 4-5 lb primals and steak them up.

3 Likes

Top three stories on CNN front page about hunter gun trial. Inb4 the media analysis that ends up showing more minutes spent on this trial than on Trumps. Gotta be even handed!

Median voter: I just can’t support a candidate with a son that is a felon. Gotta vote Trump.

9 Likes

but you just dont understand… the Trump felony was politically motivated…

Jon Stewart goes ham on the media.

8 Likes

4 Likes

I just watched Nicole Wallace refer to the dollar amount $4,189,994 as 4.1 million once and three separate times as 4.189 million and it put me on such tilt I had to change the channel

1 Like

1 Like

Ah yes, too many jobs sucks. If only we had a potential pool of people literally dying to come here and work.

Are they the right color?

1 Like
4 Likes

The 2024 presidential candidate who is a fabulist is, checks notes, Joe Biden

1 Like