Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

daily caller broke that story? ok

Fuck this

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1158546596252061696?s=21

That may actually be a new low from the NYT, which is really saying something.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1158713050419093504

I’m done trying to defend the NYT. WaPo is the only remotely responsible legacy newspaper left.

1 Like

Per Yasher Ali, a journalist, apparently the NYT rank and file are fucking furious about the headline and all blaming Dean Baquet, the executive editor.

Worth remembering sometimes that like all organizations, it’s not going to be monolithic.

The LA Times has gotten much better since they were bought by Patrick Soon-Shiong, I subscribed to them a few months ago to replace the NYT, which has been annoyingly awful for a while. Also, it’s nice to have a west coast perspective on things.

1 Like

nyt is still the best newspaper in the world. couple overly unbiasedy headlines here and there, couple dumb conservative op-eds, whatever. their news section is top, you all know it.

the headline writer for the times isn’t supposed to tell the average idiot what to think. anyone who read the article got the facts of what he said.

1 Like

No the NYT sucks. The “greatest newspaper in the world” shouldn’t be doing fluff pieces from some random Podunk diner about economic anxiety by white people who refuse to leave the county they live in.

1 Like

it’s fuckin perplexing that they even exist in the same america as i do. i find those pieces enlightening. i thankfully don’t talk to anybody that dumb. and it’s like one every few months, c’mon.

nobody’s forcing you to read those articles. you know what it is when you click on it, it’s not like they’re inserting rural diner patrons’ views into regular news stories.

I don’t know enough even to rank newspapers in the US. Like there are two really prominent papers? LA Times has good stuff, but it’s like literally half or a quarter the paper the NYT is, so it’s hard to compare.

But, I really doubt the NYT is better than the major Euro papers. American media in general, mainstream anyway, is just to shitty and enthralled to power, addicted to access, and afraid of the American public.

ok, which major euro papers?

Dunno. The Guardian? Le Monde? Die Zeit? Dunno. I just know the NYT and WaPo are afraid to like say something crazy like war is bad.

I mean, I don’t read the NYT. They are garbage as far as I know with their opinion pieces. I’ve traveled across the US enough times to know what the majority of middle America feels. Here’s a hint: They are all scared of brown people taking their wealth/jobs/security away. It’s why we hear Chief’s Planet going out to buy $400-600 guns every time there’s a mass shooting. It’s why people have 2 or 3 firearms per room incase someone breaks in. They live in a delusional world where they think they are so important that some random asylum seeker from South America is walking 2,000+ miles north to join MS-13 and rape them. They are fucking loons. All of them. And quiet frankly, they can go fuck themselves. And so can the NTY for even giving them airtime or whatever you want to call it.

3 Likes

The fact that they’re being written at all makes this paper hot garbage, whether or not we are forced to read them is immaterial

I guess if you’re a “coastal elite” and you never get out of your bubble, the safari pieces could be interesting and informative. But that’s not why they’re written, they’re written to justify all the terrible policies all the “serious” people want to implement.

1 Like

That and they’re hypersensitive to accusations of bias, read any of their writers’ twitter feeds for confirmation of this

With all due respect, you guys don’t know how to read a newspaper

It’d take forever to find this, but there’s some film I saw with the great journalist I.F. Stone reading a newspaper and it was pretty remarkable. He was tearing out columns as he read them all at remarkable speed, it was as close to ingesting a newspaper as you can get without actually eating it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/mattgertz/status/1159145901576921092?s=21