Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

I know next to nothing about Star Trek or Renaissance fairs and I’m pretty sure I get the joke. There was an episode of Star Trek or a movie where they went back in time or something, right?

It was a holographic simulation of medieval times, but yeah that’s basically it.

The joke is that they are time travelers and apparently some people also show up in Doctor Who getup for the same reason.

But I think Matty’s joke is really about his preference of Star Trek uniforms and liking the look of the original TNG outfit.

Arguably, though, one should wear the TOS uniforms to a Renaissance Festival, since Kirk’s crew is way more likely to violate the temporal prime directive.

Kirk’s crew is also more likely to find themselves in an environment full of people wearing whatever happened to be sitting around an NBC studios lot in the late 1960s.

2 Likes

Seems relevant

4 Likes

jesus christ dana bash is awful, this segment she just did on inflation with some white house economic bozo was A) a complete hack job and B) a total display of incompetence from this white house staffer (the big argument was “hey inflation isn’t a big deal because we’re going to tank the economy to kneecap labor power”)

literally flabbergasting that derps can think CNN is some sort of hard left propaganda network

Those people think “the left” is any person or group of people that acknowledge reality. If you think vaccines work then you’re “the left”. If you think climate change is real then you’re “the left”. If you think Donnie Dumb Dumb isn’t still President then you’re “the left”.

1 Like

I don’t know who this dipshit on chuck todd’s panel is, but he just dropped the “kamala harris bailing out rioters who burned down a police station” meme unchallenged

Right. It’s like that story where a Trumper reported vandalism to his house.

Anyone with a functioning brain could suspect that he very likely did this himself. He actually thought that a single person would paint “BLM”, the anarchy symbol, and “Biden 2020”, because to him, all of those are things that a person to the left of him would believe simultaneously.

https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1581792172910616576

2 Likes

It’s all back to Dvaut’s theory that right wing storytelling about their opponents is akin to professional wrestling: all the heels are in league with one another, no matter how little sense that makes based on the real world entities those heels stand for in reality. Bad Leroy Mullins will smash your head with a chair while you have Jihad Abdullah in a submission hold, even if it does not actually make sense that they’d be allies out of the ring.

2 Likes

Most of the article is about how it’s not a big deal that he’s in Delaware a lot because he’s done that his whole career and he’s still working while he’s there.

If POTUS can WFH so can anyone with any kind of office job anywhere.

2 Likes

Finally found the perfect meme for what I think of when someone in the media gets criticized on Twitter for platforming fascism and ruining the country.

4 Likes

Infuriating episode of NPR’s Politics podcast. About 20 minutes of talk about how disastrous inflation is right now, followed by an offhand mention of “oh, but isn’t Biden pushing the narrative that wages going up and unemployment going down” “well, yes, but I don’t think that’s ‘resonating’ with anyone.” WTF

It probably doesn’t resonate with the relatively affluent audience that tends to consume NPR. Their audience is made up of a lot of people whose wealth is an amalgam of personal earnings power, investments in corporate profits, and personal real estate. To those people general wage growth is a mixed bag, their wages might rise with the tide but their interest in future corporate profits might be damaged. And if it all comes with a side helping of rising interest rates eroding real estate values, it doesn’t sound good at all.

Part of the reason it doesn’t resonate is that NPR’s just spent 20 min telling their listeners that inflation is a huge deal and then tacked on improved wages/jobs as a throwaway thing that Biden’s PR team is pushing. OFC when you frame things like that voters will “resonate” with the inflation message.

2 Likes

Rationally that’s mostly true. In North America, there is a very strong cultural push to associate the “quality” of one’s home with the quality of one’s life. Home ownership is practically seen as a virtue, and cities are designed to provide high quality lives to people that can afford the most expensive homes. Everything from noise and air pollution to access to health care and quality education to quality of transportation hinges on what kind of residence you can afford. For people with kids, the qualify of their kids lives are at stake based on your house because of the the design of cities. For people whose kids have moved out, your home is your primary source of financial security. So on the one hand, yes, people are too emotionally invested in their homes. But on the other hand, they live in places that are designed to deliver higher quality of living to people than can buy bigger properties.

1 Like

I think you may be reading too much into the language. My takeaway is that they say they worried about a steeper decline in birth rate in 2020 as a manifestation of an accelerating trend.

As it turns out, we were not looking at the data the right way and the pandemic may have actually resulted in an increase in the fertility rate among American women, which was offset by the number of foreign women who could not come into the country to give birth.

If the increase in fertility rate is coupled with (hopefully) a recovery in the number of US births from foreign women, this is good news. The last sentence is not explicitly said in the article, but that’s how I’m interpreting it.

1 Like