Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

You guys simply like other people way more than I do.

Absolutely zero tolerance for the yambags.

1 Like

Yeah I recently had a new guy working out of my home office (I was training him)… and I literally could not wait to kick him the fuck out of my house. I actively dislike other humans and how much I dislike them usually goes up when I’m in close contact with them.

And I actually like the new guy and am really happy I hired him. I just actively despise having to be on socially when nothing is going on.

I get along well enough with most of my coworkers. And I have always had enough agency at work that if I wanted to leave I would just leave. Being a white male in the early 2000s was pretty great. Not like now, what with me being constantly oppressed by the cancel culture and stuff. Or at least that’s what YouTube thinks I really, really need to hear from noted expert Jordan Peterson.

Depends on what you’re doing and the support you get from management.

Teaching from home sucked balls for me. It wasn’t like America where you had customized software and ways to prevent people from cheating and had always-on webcams. We had Google Meet. That’s it. Students hated it too since they didn’t interact with their classmates.

That said, the commute times in America are insane for jobs that can be very easily done from home. Taking away the long commute through heavy traffic is a huge boost to one’s mental health and is also a huge money saver especially given the cost of gas.

What’s infuriating is how little employers trust employees in America. The amount of spyware, remote desktop software, demands for always-on laptops and webcam that can turn on one way to spy on employees is nuts.

I see both sides and they both have good points. It’s really about implementation.

This shit is really fucking up society. Talked to someone recently who went from staunchly progressive Trump hater to telling me that there’s an agenda to make us all slaves and the people who want that are all pedophiles, and they’re using fiat currency to do it and that’s why Bitcoin is the future and we need everyone to wake up to that or we’re all fucked. He’s college educated and either Gen Z or millennial.

Has to be some kind of social media wormhole he fell into. The algos are fucking us up.

Once they hook someone, they’re basically guaranteed to spend hundreds of hours watching and listening to that bullshit. A normal person watches youtube for funny cat videos and sports highlights, can’t monetize that shit.

I think some people secretly despise WFH because not having access to as many potential sex partners has had a negative effect on their sex lives. (This may be especially true of people who like to have sex with those who they have power over.)

How many more women would Elon Musk have impregnated without WFH during the pandemic?

I guess I’ve been lucky. I’ve generally enjoyed all my co-workers/teammates over the years. I do miss seeing people in the office, the chit chat and joking around, but if the choices were full time office vs full time WFH, the latter is a clear winner. But I would enjoy a scenario where you’re in-person with co-workers 2-3 times days per month.

The best part is spending 2 hours driving to work to then spend 4 hours in Teams meetings.

5 Likes

I would be up for that as well, the problem is that it doesn’t work at all unless the company mandates that everyone goes for those 2-3 days. And companies have been preaching the Choice Gospel about WFH and now every mandate will feel like a take away.

You’re right, if you try to get people together a couple of times per month, it may start to feel like a mandate and not flexible work arrangement. But for smaller teams, I think it can happen organically, and it doesn’t have to be the whole team. 3-5 people of a 10 person team might agree a day where they go in together, have lunch, etc.

Company I am with now keeps some co-working space in the city where it started and where a lot of employees are still based (even though we are now fully remote). We do happy hours every couple of months, and other things to periodically bring people together (fully optional). And I’ve been talking with a handful of colleagues about picking a day here or there where we just go in to be in-person together. So we’d only ever pick a day that mutually works for everyone.

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1554859910931722240?s=21&t=TQRIER24eE4Sts6tKtNDYw

3 Likes

I would also like to see this but my direct experience is that any suggestion that people voluntarily assemble lands with a complete thud. And I don’t think it’s just my team.

It’s probably a secondary point but LOL at calling any justice a workhorse. Don’t they get like months and months off?

I think SC Justice is the kind of job where you are doing what you love doing so it doesn’t feel like work so you never stop doing it and people are like OMG so much working 100 hours a week! I can fuck around on the internet for 100 hours a week no problem, if it was my job that would make me a workhorse I guess.

2 Likes

From my view, that depends on whether you’re an introvert or an extrovert. As a severe introvert, the energy I save from not having countless mindless interactions every day has a huge positive impact. Extroverts would probably have the complete opposite reaction.

I’m being called back to work for some undetermined number of days a week starting in September. I’m sure I won’t know until it actually happens, but the hybrid workplace is sounding like the worst of all worlds.

Oh for sure. You just need to look at UP and see the reactions to the idea of ever going into the office. I realize that most people probably feel that way. I’m on team “it’s helpful to have work relationships that aren’t just based on zoom calls & Slack”.

And I’d call myself an introvert for sure - in that I don’t typically proactively seek out social situations, although I’m generally happy to participate in them. I just fine that 8-10 hours/day alone, every day, does get lonely.

Yeah this is a major risk that our best and brightest HR minds are not seeing coming. We need to fix the culture so let’s force all our WFH enthusiasts into the office so they can be angry about being forced to go in and then they can all bond together over how much they fucking hate the office, the management team that’s doing this to them, and the company. Culture!

What about all the sad people who don’t have friends and whose only in-person human contact is workplace relations?

Imagine writing this headline.