Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

To be fair, historically land ownership has been used to enforce all kinds of oppression including oppression of women. But I’m going to hazard a guess that article is not about that.

Gotta pay cash.

I’m not sure that’s universally true. I think there are some exceptions to that in some states.

In Ontario you can also load your Provincial online gambling account with a credit card and then buy as many lottery tickets as you want. O have no idea if you’re also allowed to go into a store and buy lottery tickets with a credit card.

It seems like a weird rule. Even if they ban you from buying tickets with credit or debit cards, you can get a cash advance on those cards then buy the tickets anyway.

I always found it amusing that at least here in the states you have to purchase a physical ticket, and if you want some sequence of numbers (or “every possible combination”), you have to manually select them.

I assume there are security and practical reasons for the government to prefer that a winning ticket be a physical object rather than a digital record.

Here you can buy lottery on a credit card.

1 Like

You can buy lottery tickets with any form of payment at my store in NH

8 Likes

Yeah, you can even buy 50:50 tickets for jets/flames/stampede games on playnow/playalberta. Very few pay cash these days.

Canada Life Center has QR codes on the seats to scan to be brought to the page to buy.

I bought a ticket for the billion-dollar lottery the other day on the Georgia Lottery app using a debit card. It wasn’t a “direct” purchase - I had to deposit money into my lottery account (minimum was $10) and then I bought the ticket with those funds. So I didn’t go into a store, didn’t pay cash, didn’t have a physical ticket.

:thinking:

https://twitter.com/noahcrothman/status/1554166068049940480?s=21&t=ZJF5ikCB2wi0KSebUbA7Dw

Peggy Noonan wants you back in the office.

I like how the paywall allows you to read the beginning of the article which talks only about the positive aspects of WFH.

Yeah, I didn’t get to the downside. I assume it’s that Peggy has to drink gin alone if there’s no one in the office with her.

2 Likes

I think you’re all just forgetting how wonderful the culture was when we spent 2 hours a day commuting to a beige warehouse to sit in cubicles.

2 Likes

I’m in the camp that doesn’t like wfh.

I like being in an office around lots of people and don’t think you get the same culture and social adhesion over teams meetings.

A mix is ideal imo.

5 Likes

Same, but for different reasons.

1. My wife is mostly wfh and when both of us were full wfh, it was obnoxious.
  2. I want home to be home (i.e. not work). When I leave work, I want to be done with it until I go back in the next day.
  3. I only live 5 minutes away. If that was 45 minutes away, I would probably feel differently.
2 Likes

I don’t see how you can get a good mix without mandating that everyone goes in at the same time. Companies leaned into the heuristic of choice, but it is almost inevitable that in a fully free choice situation some people never go in, and other people go in a little bit to “test the waters” but see that no one else is there and don’t bother going again.

Before 2020 the standard was almost everyone went in M to F and some occasional and limited flexibility was permitted. I think if companies try to do that again many people will just quit. I think that if you need to be in the office and collaborating and promoting the social aspect, teams will have to negotiate a day when they all go in. Or companies have to decide that Wednesday is Office Day, and everyone goes in. Its almost certainly not going to work out that large organizations leaving everything to individual choice is going to magically land on the optimal solution, bit I can understand why free market types that run companies might think that it will.

I’ve been working from home for something like 17 years now and I certainly prefer it to commuting every day, but there is something to be said for being able to be around adults, talk to people in person, socialize, make some friends if it’s a good office environment, etc.

If I had an office really close to home, I probably wouldn’t mind going that much, except that I’d miss being able to shit in peace.

Both of these describe me, and I definitely agree that a mix is best. I enjoy the break that the occasional day in the office gives, and since everything we do is in teams (not Teams, though we use that too) I think the added socialization helps and makes work less of a grind. I’m also incredibly lucky to be a 15-minute walk from the office, though, so I don’t have the torture of a commute that some have. I’ve been doing one day in the office per week for the past couple months and expect that to increase to two days at some point in the near future. I wouldn’t want to go above three, though.

I think a lot of feelings towards this are driven by the nature of work, and I’m not surprised that a forum of former poker players, who may be used to more analytical, individualized work, would find returning to an office completely unnecessary to their jobs. I think that’s the correct take in a lot of situations, just not as universally applicable to all jobs as some may think.

I’m not going to attempt to bypass the paywall, but assuming that “national culture” = glorious capitalism and allowing your superiors to profit off of your labor, I’m going to guess that Peggy Noonan is full of shit here. Breaking that culture down is an absolute good thing.