Whereupon We Pontificate About Poor Media Outlet Choices

Imagine writing that headline not for the onion.

1 Like

Brb, gotta put on my “The First Pride was a Riot” tshirt and go yell at the Washington Post building…

3 Likes

I just hijack this thread and want to ask which newspaper would be good choices for supporting? When I read a Guardian-article they often ask for money at the end. I think it’s time for me to support few worthy papers. Any suggestions?

I really don’t understand this planet. Looking just below that headline is the bio of the author:

How could you write a book about a decades-long struggle, and then write this op ed? Do you automatically develop brain worms upon being hired by the Times or Post as an opinion writer?

Once you get past the headline, the take is basically that gay marriage was achieved more easily than some other civil rights struggles because those other issues are more zero sum.

1. Even if I grant that is true (which I’m not entirely sure it is), I don’t see the point of writing this article. Are you trying to tell gay people to quit whining because well, actually, we kinda had it easy? Are you trying to give a pat on the back to the people who came around on marriage equality for doing it in one or two generations instead of 5? Congratulating people who still oppose marriage equality for not putting up more of a fight??? Like, I guess I get the point is maybe that civil rights activists should think about the ways in which some goals might be easier or harder to achieved by a minority group based on what “sacrifices” will have to be made by members of the majority, but, if that’s the point, it’s a really poor framing.

2. Maybe the book addresses a longer timeframe, but the article seems to act like the fight basically started with DOMA and ended with a few SCOTUS rulings in the early 2000’s and 2010’s. This completely ignores that activists were laying the intellectual, moral, and legal foundations for marriage equality well before it hit the mainstream debate in the 90’s and ignores some of the pushback those rulings got and still receive.

3. I think the author also hand waives away the type of pushback civil rights advances typically receive. With voting rights, or school desegregation, or most of the other things they point to as more hard fought battles, the pushback doesn’t come from directly challenging the right, it comes from undermining the right via death by a thousand cuts (poll tax, voter ID, gerrymandering, school vouchers, the end of busing, etc). WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW THEY’RE ATTACKING MARRIAGE EQUALITY!!! [c.f. religious exemptions for county clerks, adoption agencies, etc.]

Thank you for reading my blog…

12 Likes

Despite some of the questionable decisions highlighted ITT, WaPo still does a pretty good job covering the news.

It was very easy for the NYT reading (and writing) liberals. They just waited until the decades of near impossible, incredibly dangerous, and courageous works done by activists started to pay off and then came along at he last second, made of huge show of pushing the ball the final 3 inches over the goal line and then took all the credit. As usual.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/podsidepete/status/1402001070247841792?s=21

9 Likes

I know this doesn’t matter but this framing tilts me

Yeah you have infinity student loans and can’t buy a house but you got cheap Ubers! Fuck off

2 Likes

Just super fucking great that Uber and Lyft were able to burn billions of dollars to destroy cab companies just so they could charge the same amount of money for a worse service. Can’t believe we didn’t see it coming.

3 Likes

I mean, Uber and Lyft are toxic companies, sure, but upfront pricing, contactless payments, and the ease of summoning them were massive wins over traditional cabs.

2 Likes

Right, but those don’t really exist anymore in my experience. Like I’ve been in a few situations recently where you literally just can’t get a Lyft/Uber

I haven’t been in a rideshare or cab since the pandemic, but I find it hard to believe that you could be a in a place where you could readily hail a cab but not get an uber. If so, then I would hypothesize it’s an artifact of the pandemic that will pretty soon disappear rather than being the new normal.

Taxi cabs used to speed away after I waited around and flagged them down when I asked them to do shit like, gasp, drive me from Manhattan to Brooklyn.

And also call for a cab while pregaming before going out, wait around for a hour or two and cross your fingers for the 50/50 chance they actually show up at some point.

Uber/Lyft would really have to try hard to make the experience shittier than it was.

1 Like

love for taxi cab companies is a weird kink for sure.

These people are ill. They have invented a completely imaginary idea of what occurs at colleges.

Anti-mask COVID denier whose “business” is a right-wing religious rag, btw.

Like I hope it’s just a product of the pandemic, but it’s pretty weird to be downtown in a major city and have both apps give you “no cars available.” Like I get that cabs used to suck and suck even more now, so I really hope these massive tech companies can recover

Seems like they simply refuse to pay drivers appropriately. They would rather not provide the service at all than provide it at a cost that includes fair driver pay.

5 Likes

Hopefully more places do what NY is doing, a few people I know have used this app already

https://twitter.com/thedriverscoop/status/1398345401183485955?s=21

4 Likes