What are you reading?

I plan to go down the East and back up the West, or possibly the other way. Hopefully I can see a gorilla in the wild in the heart of Africa too - major bucket list.

1 Like

Whatā€™s your planned route between Egypt and Kenya?

Something like this:

It changes all the time, but plenty of people do it. Iā€™m told Euro overlanders generally consider Africa safer than the Americas.

Ethiopia is a bit dicey right now due to some political unrest in Tigray, but that could be very different in a few years when I get there.

Worst case scenario thereā€™s an option of shipping to Kenya. I really havenā€™t spent a ton of time researching Africa because everything changes and itā€™s a ways off.

1 Like

No comment on the journey, and only because I think you might be ā€˜interestedā€™ (probably not the right word given how grim it is.) But calling it political unrest in Tigray seems too much of an understatement.

Like I said Iā€™m not paying much attention right now. Posters on the Overlanding Africa group, who are usually pretty up on things, are still asking when the roads will be open - which is where I got the impression it wasnā€™t a full blown civil war yet.

There are always other options - but it would suck because Ethiopa is supposed to be insanely beautiful.

Finished Anxious People: A Novel (By Fredrik Backman). Interesting book, quite enjoyable. Some laughs, some tears, but in the end absolutely worth reading.

Finished: The rise and Fall of the dinosaurs.
The dino parts were great, the parts about the author and his colleagues not so much, probably still worth it but couldā€™ve been a lot better.

Finished: The invisible life of Addie LaRue. Highly recommended, great idea for a story and very good execution.

Starting now: The midnight library

1 Like

nice, Iā€™m a little ways into anxious people, good to know its good.

I read midnight library a month or so back, i thought it was fine, some parts about it were annoying, let me know what you think.

I just finished this. Amazing book, highly recommend. Also absolved me of ever wanting to spend any serious time in Greenland. Although I assume itā€™s different now than the 60s.

But still - roving packs of starving huskies that eat children, whole families that have to sleep naked together to keep warm, doing your business in a slop bucket in the corner of the room while carrying on a conversation, and eating nothing but blubber, frozen seal lungs, and other gross stuff.

There does seem to be complete free love though - and Iā€™m sure STDs to go with it.

Nice, I did order this too based on your earlier post, couldnā€™t find a kindle version of it so had to get the physical bookā€¦
Hard to read any physical books nowadays when the kindle is so much more convenient. Will probably read it after the midnight library.

I donā€™t need leather-bound books or anything like that, but I like to buy hardcover when possible because they hold up better and look nicer on the shelf. Iā€™ve had my eye on a nice three-volume set of the Arabian Nights from Penguin. They did what seems to have been a very limited run in 2008 followed by another printing in 2011, and the set seems to have been out of print since then. There are a few listing on eBay and other sites for over $800 for sets that arenā€™t in great condition.

Anyway, the other day I saw a set in new condition on eBay for several hundred dollars less than any other listing. I snapped it up, although I was a little worried about getting scammed somehow. Happily it arrived today as advertised.

13 Likes

Yeah I was expecting more from the midnight library. In the end I found it quite disappointing. The premise of the book is pretty good, but donā€™t like the execution.

My main problems were how easy she was hopping from life to life, and how amazingly varied her lives were. I just donā€™t think that you can be anything like she was, I get the idea of ā€˜infiniteā€™ books, but felt this just was a bit too much of a reach. Idk, I just never really cared about any of the characters in the book either, which makes sense since they keep changing every ā€˜lifeā€™.

Also didnā€™t like that I saw the ending coming from a mile away

agreed, i thought the concept was pretty cool but the execution was lacking and agreed on the ending as well.

I didnā€™t like that she didnā€™t know anything in each life, like I get that he says that the longer you are in that life you pick up stuff, but it just seemed to needlessly complicate each life, like i said, the execution was weak.

Really liked the lonesome dove four books when I read them back in college

The Murderbot Diaries

Search tells me theyā€™ve been mentioned twice already but Iā€™m going to promote them again anyway. I just burned through 4 novellas in 3 days and am about to start the first full length novel. Theyā€™re about an introverted, misanthropic security cyborg that hacked its own governing module so it can be a free agent and spend its downtime watching serial dramas. Lots of fun to read and frequently laugh out loud hilarious.

1 Like

holy shit

Glass Hotel or Station Eleven?

Both. Almost literally read both back-to-back in one sitting, barring a sleep break obv, this past weekend.

Station Eleven first if youā€™re curious.

I have a feeling this is gonna ruin me for awhile on other books. I started reading some psychological thriller that won or got shortlisted for awards and three chapters in Iā€™m like, ā€œItā€™s fineā€¦ even goodā€¦ but goddamn it ainā€™t no Emily St. John Mandel.ā€

Awesome. I am 1.25 books away from the end of my reading queue, and I was starting to get anxious. I guess Iā€™m covered for one additional sitting.

Some recent acquisitions

The Tale of Genji set is the hardcover edition of a 2001 translation, now only available in paperback as a single volume.

The Mark Twain set was published in 2020 by Abbeville press, using Norman Rockwell illustrations from 1936 and 1940 editions. https://www.abbeville.com/

The Kafka volume is a special edition published on the hundredth anniversary of his birth (1983).

3 Likes