What are you listening to

@RiskyFlush

https://youtu.be/b7oPm-FQsj4

1 Like

Devil my friend, do you need to talk about your parents’ divorce?

Ha, no. I just thought it was a cool version of that song. Jeff Daniels is cooler than I thought. Weren’t you the one who posted the Tom T Hall version?

I have another kind of break up to talk about but not ready. Not sure if ever will be. Will let you know though. Thanks.

1 Like

I can’t recall! Perhaps it was me. Jeff Daniels is definitely cool.

That scene made me think too how fun it would be if you had enough classically trained or just excellent musicians who enjoyed breaking out into random song. The whole day could be a musical come to life.

Actually, that would make a great Saw parody. Force a bunch of really smart musicians to turn their escape into a musical or die.

I’m sorry to hear about the loss. Just hit me up if you do want to talk, but I understand if it’s not on the table at this time :+1:

1 Like

Definitely. But I thought this was how it was with musicians. Otherwise what’s the point of learning to play?

1 Like

AGREED!!! I knew my wife was the one for me when she played along with my improvisations. She says something silly, I turn it into a song, she picks up the vocal line, I give her the music or join in for harmonies.

1 Like

This came up sort of randomly in my playlist, maybe because I watched a video about the intricacies of “The girl from Ipanema” a while ago. Anyway, this is amazing; it’s like uplifting (!) elevator music with mystiqué!

edit: Here is the video about said intricacies.

2 Likes

lol some of these old geezers could actually write a pretty good tune.

Are you also an old? j/k (maybe)

I’m pretty old. medium old, one might say.

1 Like

So, Cindi Lauper is the background vocal?

Hint: Not actually Cindi Lauper but similar voice.

Whoop! Whoop!

1 Like

Switch up here:

1 Like

This is embarrassing for me to admit, but I learned about the Gravediggaz only because the I Don’t Even Own a Television podcast mentioned them. It’s basically the RZA in his prime and some associates doing goofy Halloween-themed albums and not taking themselves too seriously. Good chill-out stuff if you like that era of hip-hop, and it’s appropriate for the Halloween season.

2 Likes

That dude is a decent musician and funny. He loves hip hop.

1 Like

I meant to look up the band he named himself a drummer name for. I forgot it now. I like that podcast though. Haven’t read a full book in years and listened to 50+ episodes in the last few months while working. They make me want to read less books tbh and just listen to them haha.

I definitely knew about the Gravediggaz cuz I had a show at the time, but I am embarrassed to admit that until I listened to that pod I linked above, I had no idea it was RZA. Basically, I wanted nothing to do with it. As Prince Paul points out, some A&R guy was super-excited when he came up with the genre “Horror-core” and that shit immediately ruined it for a lot of people (me included). I just sorta scewfaced the album covers and played Outkast instead.

Still recommend the pod I linked, though. It’s a nice balm for other shit right now.

Even though uncredited, Prince Paul definitely produced some of the tracks on this one. Speculation on my part and I’ve never heard him confirm it but the uptempo style on a couple of the tracks is definitely reminiscent of his earlier work.

Greatest hip hop concept album ever imo. If I thought Rza actually produced all the tracks it would make a case for his best album of beats ever. (prolly falling a hair short of Liquid Swords.)

6 Feet Deep was a great album. Pretty sure it gave us our first look at Killah Priest too, dope rapper

1 Like