What are you listening to

Bro, B.I.B.L.E. is a track that just pops into my head once a month.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you’d like the podcast. The whole thing was his brainchild and he produced a lot of the first album. Then I think the label finally figured out that they actually had RZA on their payroll so he became the focus (and produced most, I think) of the 2nd album. Paul and RZA were both not really a part of the third.

Again, it’s worth listening to Prince Paul’s recollections!

The Gravediggaz subsequent albums are a pretty big drop off. The 2nd one does have an all time Rza beat and a song about the holocaust which is pretty cool.

The intro on this ooooooboy. Got damn I miss the late nineties.

Shit this makes so much more sense. I always assumed everything Wu was produced by Rza. Need to know who laid down the bassline on 1 800 Suicide.

Depending on what all Prince Paul produced this might be his best work for me. Handsome Boy Modeling School coming close.

So many horns on this production man the curiosity is thick. Ill check out the vids later.

The ep on Handsome Boy Modeling School is pretty funny too. Apparently him and the Automator just hung out in the Automator’s flat in SF and got high as fuck watching bizarre movies and putting together beats entirely based on the criteria of “Is this Handsome?”

1 Like

You guys talk about a lot of obscure stuff that I normally don’t follow but any discussion about Wu Tang or Wu affiliates is :+1: in my book. I’m pretty sure there was a time in my life where that’s all up listened to.

I got to see Wu Tang perform the entire 36 Chambers album a couple years ago during the 25th anniversary year, probably the best concert experience of my life

1 Like

Wu Tang is pure Americana. The fact that they started selling 12"s out of the back of the car while also being a suburban phenomenon is just ill.

1 Like

Do you have a favorite Wu beat? This is a revolving door in my mind but in the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=co+defendants

Man that is a hard question, I’m phone posting from work right now so I’ll hold off until I get home and can give it a proper response.

I’m going with this

couple other tracks on this album could qualify along with Duel of the Iron Mic, 4th Chamber and Guillotine Swordz.

bonus newer beats that i really dig are GZA’s Paper Plate (beat is super simple but kind of mesmerizes me) and Black Mozart on Cuban Linx II. I’m probably not even thinking of some others but I haven’t listened to much Wu over the past 5-10 years and RZA has a lot of production credits

1 Like

Not a RZA beat but this track though…

1 Like
1 Like

You know what I miss? 90’s hip-hop supergroup songs, where they just jam a bunch of dudes into one track. I’ve posted about this before, but damn, RZA, Eminem, Phaeroe, KRS-1 and a bunch of other guys would all pile into one track. Or the Fugees and the Tribe would team up and it was a regular thing that happened in the 90’s. Wish we had more of that these days.

1 Like

Been jamming to this on repeat while I work.

Best Wu beat is a great question.

Not my submission, but I think this is my favorite slept-on Wu-Satellite beat/track:

Willie Nelson is still out here being cool in 2020. It warms my heart.

1 Like

Just to tie some of this all together, both of the MC Paul Barman tracks you linked are off his debut EP, which was produced by… Prince Paul!

In the podcast, there’s an episode with a lot dedicated to Barman. Apparently Prince Paul didn’t listen to a lot of the demos that people gave him, but Barman actually sent his demo on vinyl to Prince Paul’s PO Box and PP was intrigued.

One last Prince Paul note: this was probably always my favorite track of his:

Poker in this vid. Busta looks jacked.

Busta’s new album is disappointing. I take no joy in saying this.

1 Like