What are you listening to

turn it up

I fucking love Patton.

Pharoahe and KRS-1 are two of the most underrated rappers of all time. I don’t know what happened to Pharoahe; it seems like he was right there in the right place at the right time, but he never blew up and became a household name like other classic indie 90’s rappers.

For real, watch Pharoahe completely upstage Mos Def here. Fuck it, how come Mos Def became a huge deal and Pharoahe withered into obscurity, that’s bullshit.

Also:

Holy shit. I feel like a Zeppelin fan who has never heard Stairway to Heaven here. That was ridiculous. With.Nate Dogg also. Can’t believe I’ve never heard that.

1 Like

I think that video was on Yo MTV Raps or some shit like that back in the 90’s? I’m sure I heard it growing up. as a young boy. idk, 90’s rap was the absolute nuts, so much incredible shit. There are a lot of incredible rap supergroups from that era.I don’t know why Pharoahe never became a legend. Christ, he is very good at what he does. KRS-1 too.

So, I"ve watched that like 5 times in a row and I think I did hear it back in the day but didn’t understand or appreciate what was about to happen.
It took me a few years to appreciate this shit which is god damn gold. I was all gangsta rap then. Horrible really. Ghetto Boys and shit. I appreciated this after 311, LSD, Phish tours and shit. Midwest upbringing.

1 Like

So, I’m all over the place here but Beastie Boys and Michael Jackson were my first albums. 3rd grade or some shit. Check Your Head into everything else the Beastie Boys did after that really influenced my life. bodhisattva vow, etc. It’s weird to hear that for people that only heard No Sleep to Brooklyn but MCA was the man. My musical path is weird af. Digital Underground and Public Enemy and NWA and shit until weed smoking and Pink Floyd influence and then acid happened so obv Grateful Dead and stuff. Had a few girl friends from high school that dated (banged) 311 members so went to a bunch of their shows. Sublime got really old to me fast. Now I love it all? Lmao.

1 Like

I mean, damn.

Forgot about my space rock Hawkwind, Monster Magnet period:

1 Like

My first album ever was a cassette of Sgt. Pepper and I listened to that so many times front to back. And I think I had cassettes of the late era Beatles. Like, when you’re young you don’t appreciate how wild these albums are, you just take it in stride that all pop bands have ohm-pah songs about becoming old and meter maids and filling the Albert Hall and shit; It all seemed very normal to me at the time. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that KRS1 is the GOAT rapper of all time. The Beatles are pretty great too, you should check them out.

2 Likes

Just thinkin of my replies here and there is so much more. I grew up on a farm singing 8 track and records of country songs and shit. I love hip hop but just play e-drums to strictly shuffles now lately. That Mr. Bungle and your video made my night even after 3 sets of Billy Strings at Red Rocks tonight. Music is so god damn good. No matter what you like.

2 Likes

Man, the Beatles are pretty great, though. Just listen to this, it slaps so hard.

2 Likes

I really like some of these Playing for Change videos. Yo soy un hombre sincero.

2 Likes

I’m still on the Tab album. The tube amps or whatever with this album and Superjudge get me in the earholes.

Also coming up:

If you’ve got half a heart
Then sell me half of that
It’s all left up to me
To hang with Lord 13

1 Like

As a white boy, my first exposure to Guantanamera was the Fugees album back in the 90’s, this melody is incredible. PS: the Fugees were fundamentally a pretty great concept.

1 Like

I hate new Monster Magnet but the old shit was so good. Also, that guitar tube sound I’m talking about. Twin Reverb?

In retrospect, the Fugees were an incredible piece of Americana, right? Like, in the 90’s we understood that refugees are wonderful people. In hindsight it’s a very subversive message, and so far ahead of its time. Like, refugees = good people was a standard message back then. You could get on MTV with that kind of message. Man, all of these shitty people from shithole countriess can come over here and hang, that’s the whole point of America.

1 Like

Also, still watching and shared that Pharoah verse. I do this thing where I watch something like that several times or more in a row. Obscure? Modular synth is right up my alley because I can listen to a drone for like a half hour and hear other shit in it. The bass line and hook in this video keeps me watching and listening. Fucking love music whatever it is.

I think we need a thread on how important music is in people’s lives everywhere.

flag this video for stuff