What are you listening to

Listen, Lauren Hill is always incredible but Wyclef and Pras absolutely carried their weight throughout the tenure of the Fugees. The Carnival was such a crazy experimental album from start to finish and somehow it became a smash hit. Name one other 90’s hip-hop album that was bringing sounds like this:

PS:

Chuck D is 59 years old and he still brings the righteous fury like no one else. Where is the next generation of subversive rappers? We need them badly.

1 Like

Middle of this melts my face off (3:02+)

McCoy Tyner died, which is sad. He was the last member of Coltrane’s legendary quartet from the early 60s still going, and an insane musician in his own right. Saw him a few years back and although he had to be helped on stage, he then proceeded to blow everyone else off it with his playing. Here’s a nice cut from the early 70s.

2 Likes
2 Likes

That’s pretty good

Try a bit of this…2:44

1 Like

Every few years I remember that in the aeroplane over the sea exists and listen to it for a week straight. This is that week. God damn what an album.

@JohnnyTruant you smokin’ tonight?

Oh yeah, baby!

3 Likes

Goddamn, love me some classic Sabbath. What a fucking sound these lads had.

3 Likes

the shorty front and center at 4:00

big fan lol

2 Likes

double-album of all Sabbath tunes. Recorded not long after Randy Rhoads’ death. Goat album… super inspired. If you don’t already know it. check it out! :slight_smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9n4CJpsTNY&list=PLA2-nXsHvm3IUTglgcI1BiZrtOFfvsC5T

1 Like

Honestly, I don’t care much about anything post-Randy, but I will give that a listen.

In this post, I will compare the Fugees to the Beatles: Wyclef is def Paul McCartney, he is the showman forward face of the band who decides what the group is all about and how they present themselves. Lauryn Hill is both John and George, just the incredible raw musical talent. Pras is Ringo: he lays back and doesn’t get noticed much, but he’s rock solid at what he does.

1 Like

Ozzy recruited Brad Gillis of Night Ranger to play guitar on Speak of the Devil. He killed it.

Jake E. Lee is another Ozzy guitarist so worth listening to.

in this cover, is demonstrated the nuance and technique of the man(how he’s depressing the strings on the other side of the bridge at the start, and gradually releasing them for that brief melody lol)… plus it’s some bizarre alternate tuning. Jake was a unique talent.

1 Like

The Beatles really were out of this world, right? No one makes stuff like this anymore. Fuck me, what a sound:

3 Likes

You want out of this world?

Hey Jude doesn’t even have a fucking album

They made one real big live performance of the song

Here it is at 192 mil youtube hits

At the 4:10 mark where it goes into the Hey Jude phase, what is front and center. An African American and a Muslim wearing a Turban

Way off.

Epstein was the image maker, not McCartney.

McCartney, the multi-instrumentalist who played all the instruments including drums on some of his solo albums, was the major musical talent and leading bass player of his generation.

People love to hate on Ringo, but when the Beatles let him off the leash he was so incredible. Absolutely the most underrated Beatle, listen to him bring the ruckus:

Paul couldn’t sing or play worth a damn, though, sorry. His solo career was garbage. John and George were the raw talent, but they needed his direction.

Oh god, please tell me about the incredible drum work on the Paul McCartney solo albums that no one gives a fuck about. I’m sure he’s excellent.

Apart from McCartneys bass, none of them were great musicians compared with their contemporaries, Lennon especially.

The Beatles were songwriters.

And all their post Beatles careers were garbage apart from, at a pinch, Band On The Run.