What are you listening to

I think the second or third album I ever bought as a kid was cassette of Countdown to Extinction which had a title track warning us about species extinction and how canned hunters like Trump Jr. are cowardly assholes. That shit is still on point thirty years later. Metal had a pretty solid message back in the day. Greta Thunberg could adopt this as her entrance music.

3 Likes

As a nerd I fundamentally love prog-metal but it’s never been progressive or challenged the status quo in any real way. It’s like, let’s do a concept album about Paradise Lost or Moby Dick or whatever and use crazy unusual time signatures. Okay, cool. I see that you guys are very smart.

Who remembers when MTV would play Metallica’s One music video? Afterward the vee-jay Kurt Loder or Kennedy or whoever would look into the camera and try to awkwardly segue into an Aerosmith video. For real, I would have never read Johnny Got His Gun if it weren’t for this video, that is the kind of thing real culture should try to do and I respect it.

4 Likes

Tabitha Soren :heart:

You rarely get collectivist politics from metal, the ethos is individualist. Individualism can go either way, like Metallica had anti-war songs on all three of their peak thrash-period albums (For Whom the Bell Tolls/Disposable Heroes/One) but they’re all written from the perspective of one individual in the war, the message is like “you as an individual should not sign up to fight wars, it’s a bad idea”. The individualism can also be right-wing when it takes the form of rejection of solidarity with others, an every man for himself type thing socially. Even when metal criticizes some social or wider political issue, it’s generally just a description of the problem, there’s no call to collective action (Countdown to Extinction is an example of this, other examples are Metallica’s Blackened and And Justice For All). In hip hop you frequently get like “we as a people need to do X”, it’s very rare to see that in metal.

2 Likes

guess what? you guys enjoy the conversation

I found a rare instance of restraint in my being, and am not gonna participate

1 Like

Currently just listening to BBC1 Live Lounge covers on YouToobz, mostly in the same vein (current alternative/pop artists covering each other-think Chvrches, Halsey, Bastille). I decided I want to listen to a [maybe slightly embarrassing] song that I hadn’t heard in a while and guess what there is a sick Live Lounge cover of it by Hozier that had never shown up for me before.

1 Like

Tiny Desk Concerts. If you’ve never heard them, you’re welcome. Here are a couple great ones.

1 Like

I can’t stand musicals; but it has a glimmer of hope w Bollywood. Pretty sure just about everything about this is fantastic!

Apparently no green screens or anything., just “Let’s throw the whole Bollywood troupe on a train…!”
Health & Safety be damned…

Was researching a walrus and ran into this and god damn its just as perfect and poignant as it was 20 years ago.

And now Ive fallen down a Bad Religion hole and dont really care if I ever come out because their stuff is always so good

1 Like

How bout this one which would go perfect with our guillotine logo.

You guys got any good, up-tempo workout albums?

See above. If you cant get moving to The New America, True North or their self titled album, you’re dead. Bonus points, the lyrics should be enough to get your pissed off blood pumping

I don’t like punk, tho.

Shut up, punk! Join the revolution!

13th Floor Elevators

1 Like

Rise Against - Endgame

1 Like

Still punk

I’ve probably posted this here before, but man I love this music video:

2 Likes

Driven to tea airs.

2 Likes