What are you listening to

did we nail down a style yet?:joy:

what does style even mean? do we want to categorize everything?

I’m just placing 2 dissimilar objects side by side

1 Like

Prana, did you go to Dead shows?

I went to 3.

2 Likes

Damn, Tonga getting smoked. Didn’t expect that.

1 Like

I was just out of high school when Jerry died. We had tickets to one of the Chicago shows but my friend’s car broke down before we could even leave town. I’ve seen many reiterations of them since and a dozen or more Dead & Co. shows.

1 Like

He went to 3 but only came back from 2

1 Like

far out

Sean Lennon and Freddie Mercury

Cool. Too bad you’re so young. I saw them in like '87, '90, and '93. '90 was a stadium show and kinda meh (with Bob Dylan). '93 was a very fun show, but the music wasn’t that great. I think Jerry was pretty weak by then. '87 show was really great. It was at the Laguna Seca racetrack - just big grass field. They filmed the video for Touch of Grey that night there.

Not that anything exciting would have necessarily happened, but here’s one of the dumb things I’ve done: I had borrowed a motorcycle to get to the show (a couple hours ride), and it broke down on the way. I don’t even remember how I got to the show from there - I think I hitchhiked. Anyway, after the show I was a little anxious to get back and retrieve the motorcycle and was intent on heading back. I was walking and 3 girls pulled over and asked if I had a place to stay and offered their tent (? I think). I said no. I ended up not getting anywhere that night and just sleeping rough in some playground iirc.

2 Likes

I saw them during that era(late 80s early 90s) in Cali as well… we may have crossed paths. Oakland Coliseum and Shoreline Amphitheater.

Jerry was very rough by then and doing his shit. I love your stories though. I did a bunch of Phish tour shows and that scene sucks. The Dead & Co. crowd vibes are so much better.

The stadium show I saw was in Anaheim and in '93 or so it was in Seattle.

Although, it wouldn’t be a politics forum if I didn’t mention how many deadheads went straight fascist since the hippie days. They got old and scared of minorities like all the olds. It’s fucked up.

I’m surprised about that, but actually the friend I had in college who was into the Dead (though not a Dead Head - just liked the music) I’ve discovered is a total Trumper. But, he’s legit mentally ill. The last time I saw him, after not seeing him for years, he asked me if I’ve been “billing” him with negative thoughts which caused his testicles to hurt.

lol say it ain’t so. what about subsequent generations of deadheads, you think they might turn?

lotta theorizing in these parts that once the boomers die off, we’ll achieve nirvana

it also illustrates how much fashion that counterculture is. that’s honestly why I was attracted to it as a youth. I’ll be a liberal till i die tho, so that’s separate

wtf are you on about? They used to be peace and love and are now posting “don’t tread on me” shit and parroting every Trump talking point. I’m not getting into it other than lol olds.

1 Like

The hippies I knew (not like 1960s hippies, but 1980s) are not fascists afaik. I just found one recently online and her career has been teaching like social justice stuff in mostly Black schools and active in like 3 dozen immigrant rights organizations.

1 Like