What are you listening to

Donati was the drummer for the Steve Vai band at 1 point, too iirc

Only drummers I know from that era that weren’t in bands I listened to were like Bozzio, Weckl, Zoro, Appice, and maybe a few others. I was a saxophonist until after high school.

Check out this fuckin’ white people racket:

Something that kind of blew my mind and what led me down the rabbit hole to some hipster microtonal bullshit is that the clarinet is an instrument that produces no even harmonics in the overtone series. Nature’s square wave if you will.

I’m sorry, that just put me on tilt. Save me Dimash.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

This sounds like the stuff off Seven Worlds, or, to be more accurate, from The Electromagnets era.

Throat singing is weird. People in the Faroe Islands use it. An island between Iceland and Norway. I was wondering why I kept randomly hearing it used in Scandinavian music and discovered that lady.

1 Like

When I was ripping Beatles and praising Nirvana in other thread, I was gonna point out that the production on Nevermind actually kinda blows imo. When I listen to it on good gear, it’s just way too tight and sounds overproduced, i.e. “grunge” engineered for radio to sell shit. Similar dynamic to my ear going from Sixteen Stone to Razorblade Suitcase (also Albini).

1 Like

I score it as G6/9 functioning as a bVII6/9, a substitution for the I that “hangs” with no resolution.

Yeah, that sounds right, I thought he may have been muting the G a little so what was ringing out was 3rd string A, 2nd string B, 1st string E, which is just the Asus2 bit, but you agree there’s no D in that chord (which some musician lurker professing near perfect pitch was willing to bet his house on in the thread I linked)?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I mean this is sort of Zapruder film stuff but there’s no way he’s fretting 3xx030 because of common sense and kinesiology. It’s a fast transition and landing it off that run isn’t trivial, so why would he fret a D on the 2nd string with his index finger when the much easier grip is ring finger? It makes no sense from a guitar-playing standpoint. I think the only question is how many notes does he hit with the hybrid technique there, but I’m confident the answer is 4 notes because of how tight he brings the little finger in. I can definitely hear the bass G and the high E, and I’d guess the other two are A/B (3xx200) because splitting your picking fingers on hybrid that fast is almost impossible.

2 Likes

Yeah, he plays the G, am I remembering the theory correctly, let’s say he only played the ABE triad for whatever reason, functionally you would still call that a G6/9 if that’s the role it’s meant to play? I think that’s a thing that you can have chords without the note of the chord in them.

Boy, Nirvana has not aged well. I’m a GenXer and even I’m like “meh” for most of their catalogue. It was cool in its time and place but none of you Millenials or GenZ kids need to bother listening.

2 Likes

The Unplugged album is Nirvana’s finest work <–HOT FUKKING TAKE RIGHT HERE SON

1 Like

Yeah it can be implied, especially in jazz where the bass or piano picks up the root a lot. But you’re right, the function is the most important aspect. If he only played ABE I would be inclined to call it an Esus4 because V-I cadence is the bread and butter of 12-tone Western music. But in this case, he’s playing out of A blues / mixolydian which has a great bVII chord. When it rings out at the end of the bar, there’s enough space to imagine fitting a V chord before that chromatic rundown that resolves back into A.

2 Likes