What are you listening to

That performance is so unreal! I’m familiar with that track, and it’s my favorite from what little I know of theirs.

That horn melody in the ‘chorus’ is too good, the bassist is fun, and the drummer yeah! at 2:24 to 2:28 lol

The keyboardist/synth player is also insane dialing in his own sounds and can play like a motherfucker but i’m predominately a drummer and that guy lights it up (while supporting the band as a drummer should which is most important). Missed an opportunity to see them this spring and still pissed.

1 Like

yeah synth at 2:15 to 2:16 when they join in for the 2 chords and then smile at each other lol

that shit royster does with time signatures is cra cra. my fav part of the snarky video is at 6:40 or so when the other keyboardist decides he is done and can’t do much more. That guy kills it on keyboards during that video.

1 Like

Yeah he takes that shit out. That keyboard solo is deep space voyaging

Jeff Chimenti can rip it up pretty well also. O’teil is my favorite bassist lately. Dude is happier than I will ever be playing each show. Mayer isn’t too bad either.

Wooten in that Vix 9 video is tough to beat, but I’ll check that out

Eighty’s pop makes me happy…but a lot of it is kind of candy and blatant.

Well Hall & Oates arent candy they kick ass.

3 Likes

I ‘saw’ the Dead 3 times in my later teens. Shoreline Amphitheater, Oakland Coliseum(Halloween show iirc) and one other place. Never was much of a fan, briefly dated a gal that was, but I liked the parking lot culture and all that surrounded that band

Cool. I love shakedown street and sounds like you were there before the shitheads started corrupting the scene.

Jerry at his best is hard to beat. You might have seen some shows where Jerry was suffering. The 80s and 90s weren’t great years for the Dead with all the heroin and cocaine going on. There were some epic shows but a lot of hit and miss (Jerry bad nights were horrible). I believe you would like a lot of the '77 shows from what you’ve posted so far.

yeah… it was exactly late eighties, very early 90s

Those were very bad times for the Dead mentally and physically. A lot of cocaine and heroin going on. Bob wanted to cut off Jerry but didn’t. The crowds of drug addled fans didn’t help at all. There for shakedown street and the drugs mostly, not the tasty licks.

Even way before then, Brent Mydland was god damn epic. Heroin tho. His last words before dying: “I gotta go, but my friends can stick around.”

You can see the heroin oozing out of him but this is god damn epic (there are other videos showing him ankle shooting behind the keyboards during shows). He performed better on heroin vs. Jerry sucking always on the shit. Both dead.

1 Like

I learned that Elton John and Bernie Taupin’s favorite band for a time was ‘The Band.’ lol

always inclined to investigate bands that are endorsed by musicians i like

If you like drums or play drums, or just like hearing professional musician’s viewpoints, I recommend Drummer’ Resource, Working Drummer, and a branch off of Drummer’ Resource with Daniel Glass. All great podcasts

You like Virgil Donati?

He is new to me. Looks like he does a lot of clinics and stuff so I’m betting he’s awesome. I’ll listen to some after this Billy Strings show.

His guitarist André Nieri is something else

Donati was the drummer for the Steve Vai band at 1 point, too iirc