We Are The Music Makers (Musician's Thread)

Imagine some 25-key midi controllers stacked up making six rows of keys (150 keys total). Each row ascending is transposed a fourth higher except the next to last one which only goes up a third because reasons. So if the lowest note is an E2 on the first row, the left-most key on the 2nd row is an A2 and so on. This all works out to the lowest note on the top row of keys being an E4. The problem is you can play that E4 on all 6 rows of keys. Depending on the music it may be awkward or even impossible to play it in some of those positions so you have to sort of work out the kinesiology of it.

3 Likes

Not ignoring your posts just can’t really check links right now but will catch up when I get a chance.

1 Like

My Deluge has guitar view (Isomorphic) instead of keyboard and it’s a different language for me.

1 Like

Yes gimme all of that but cut down so it fits in my left hand.

1 Like

Ah shit. I considered this a couple years ago. What do you like about it?

I’m on the list for a Cirklon but have been waiting 16 months and Covid plus manufacturing wrinkles have them backed up.

I’m guessing it’s similar to the linnstrument.

1 Like

Everything. It’s the best sampler/sequencer I’ve come across. I got in on it on the Kickstarter too so paid less. It runs my whole system and Eurorack. It’s phenomenal. Not dissing the Polyend, I know a lot of people like that too.

1 Like

This dude has 2!

1 Like

I will say this coming from guitar: the ability for expression on traditional midi instruments is pretty lacking. The poly stuff like Linnstrument is bridging that gap, but no way I can cut leads that are as good from even the absolute best traditional midi keyboard as I can on a stringed instrument.

I’ve done deep dives on the construction and technical aspects of Linnstrument and some other MPE controllers and have considered building my own. I think you can make a Linnstrument from scratch. If I remember right, the code is either available or open source and runs on an Arduino architecture, and the sensor grid is some resistive material that isn’t too costly.

2 Likes

The polyend is definitely pricey but I’m confident I can make songs in a year or less coming from scratch tech wise.

I could really make some noise on vinyl pressings that fall underneath fair use if I had the $.

2 Likes

They’ve also been great at firmware updates. Currently it acts as a looper too and I bought a pedal this spring to trigger the looper function but haven’t set it up. I plan to build layers from Eurorack bleep bloops with it when I have more time this winter.

2 Likes

I have a guitar from a neighbor and a huge list of justin.tv tutorials to watch but keep getting sidetracked with eurorack mostly. I don’t practice enough drums or piano imo lately because of eurorack. I just want to play enough guitar to understand their viewpoints.

1 Like

Biggest jump to stringed instruments in general is probably just being laid out in a grid pattern. I also play some pedal steel which is way crazier than guitar. Mine “only” has 10 strings and 7 levers to change the pitch (some have 12 strings and > 10 levers). The tuning (called a copedent) is totally different than standard guitar so it’s a mind-bender whenever I sit down, but good lord can it make some absolutely insane sounds if you put the right effects on it. Just made me think of this for some reason:

That distorted pedal slide is one of the most wicked sounds I’ve heard.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m always surprised when these things exist for Linux and I can actually use them.

2 Likes

It’s so fucking fun. I’ve become friends with this dude who is a classically trained pianist who got into it a few years before me and I think this is kind of the stuff you are talking about with discrepancies wrt electronic music. He’s mostly done ambient stuff but lately more into minimal techno and barely dnb so not necessarily EDM. It’s all music man.

He has had me experimenting a lot with VCV Rack but with external Eurorack stuff along with my Deluge and live sampling and I want to loop more with it all too. There are long winters here in the frozen tundra so making all that work is my winter plan.

I said loops after dissing them earlier, I know.

jfc I fucked up his channel at first.

2 Likes

I actually made a goal when buying all my Eurorack stuff this summer to have a full live set ready for post Covid. Luckily for that goal, COVID is still here. I’d rather be banging one night stand females but I’m still trying for a live set I feel comfortable playing to people at a bar or on a stage with all Eurorack/VCV Rack. Even though COVID is here I’ve still been busy af with other shit a lot of this summer so not there yet.

Maybe this thread can help hold me to that goal.

1 Like

I can make patches but not as well as this dude yet I’d say for sure. HIs ability to blend one patch to the other seamlessly too is something I need to work on (more shown in his live performances than this etude).

2 Likes

I have a tambourine and long hair.

3 Likes

aw sheeeeit

2 Likes

We’re getting the band back together.

You’re in.

2 Likes

I can see if my old triangle playing skills are revivable, but it’s been a while.

No one likes a rusty triangle.

3 Likes