We Are The Music Makers (Musician's Thread)

To combine Khruanbiin and Phish from our recent posts, Trey asked to play with them at Lockn last year or the year before and I happened to be on a lot of fungus. It was so good. Highly recommend that show. Pretty sure I posted about my mind being blown in the listening thread when it happened

1 Like

Worst case scenario I plan on going into Children’s hospitals and making songs for them out of their favorite sounds.

4 Likes

Yeah, also playing music with others. That’s different than sitting in a room trying to come up with a Top 10 hit. It’s so good to play music with others and no matter how shitty you are I recommend finding someone to play with if you enjoy playing any type of instrument or voice that you can play with others.

1 Like

Yeah I am the same way. However, I did start when I was 14 and practiced for probably thousands of hours in high school, took AP music theory, jazz band, played gigs, etc. It’s just as easy for me to get stuck I think. This article has helped me with that some:

https://medium.com/@herbertlui/why-quantity-should-be-your-priority-3bc2b16fe3f5

2 Likes

MP3 uploads are enabled if you folks want to share short clips. Max file size is 4 MB.

6 Likes

Is that LFO random or manual?

1 Like

It was programmed. but don’t ask me any further details because that was 10 years ago.

2 Likes

Automated but not sync locked I’d say. I may be gapping out the word for automated I’m meaning. Nope, I’m not. Guess it could have just been played live and recorded so no automation but the lfo definitely goes out of beat for a second or so. It sounds more locked in to the drum beat the second time actually.

1 Like

I tell you what though, we could never find a reliable drummer. They would show up late, high, or unrehearsed if they showed up at all. Easier to just replace with a drum machine.

2 Likes

Fucking drummers. I was really surprised in college at the number of guitar players that were talented af but failed out because they couldn’t read music so failed all the theory classes. Me taking basic piano and reading music in school for saxophone put me light years ahead of them in those classes even though I had just barely started playing drums before I went to college.

ETA: This one dude was great at guitar and failed for that reason. Went with me to New Orleans in a story I mentioned the other night for a music club. He’s not even playing now and managing a restaurant. Just quit after he didn’t make it in school because of reading music. He was a better guitar player then than I am a drummer now I’d say. Sad.

1 Like

For as much as hip hop is exploited and there is a lot of surface crap the real djs and record collectors are the keepers of time and best moments.

I see those moments as the new notes and as we are past loops being “magical” cuz everyone knows them or knows something similar it will become who can do what with them in the same way jazz standards apply.

1 Like

My music teacher in high school always had this running joke when we went to all-state jazz band tryouts:

Q: “What’s the easiest contest in the world to judge?”
A: “The guitar sight reading audition.”

And he’s not wrong, but a number of years later I learned that he took up guitar and quickly abandoned any ideas of being able to sight read proficiently. Always wanted to needle him about it but I never saw him again.

1 Like

Is that tab or staff music? They could all read tab but were completely flummoxed by staff music. I wish I had time to tutor them or they could have gotten tutors. So dumb to quit music because of that shit.

1 Like

Staff. I could read comp charts for jazz. I mean that’s easy. Full-blown sight reading the staff for guitar is a major pita and takes a ton of practice.

2 Likes

OK. Never played guitar so no clue there.

1 Like

I actually checked out the Linnstrument after you mentioned it and was blown away. I considered purchasing one even just for sequencing but I really wanted the visual layout of 8x32.

It’s amazing tho. Seems like it could be a paradigm shift in how kids are taught music.

3 Likes

Went to college and partied a lot with Tim. You might appreciate him. Their trio is in Chicago atm.

1 Like

2 Likes

1 shitty instrumental track that I can license into a couple hundred k would be ideal.

5 Likes

This isn’t really going to answer your question but is an excuse to suggest an amazing read on the history of hip hop /dance and dj culture. Also lots of info on the history of radio. It’s an academic read told from first hand experience.

https://www.ebooks.com/en-us/book/96437538/last-night-a-dj-saved-my-life/brewster-bill-broughton-frank/?src=feed&msclkid=bccfd4de702210370cd98ba011799d35

1 Like