Walrus Quickie for those who didn't get into the other Walrus Quickie sign-up thread

Let’s face it: This is now a Walrus forum operating under the guise of being a politics forum. As such, @cassette posted a request for entrants to a new “Quickie” Walrus over at Walrus Quickie: Sign up thread and it filled up faster than you can slap your fins together.

This is a Walrus for those who couldn’t join the Cassette Walrus, both of which are being run alongside the Kingvaldo Walrus. Got it? Great!

Consider the Cassette and Seities Walruses quick impromptu romps, as compared to the longer, more tender and foreplay-filled affair that is Kingvaldo Walrus.

Use this thread to signal your intent to join :-)

The rules:

This Walrus is open to up to 10 entrants, who are not in the Cassette Walrus.

Copy/pasting some of the text Cassette used because I am lazy:

Send me a youtube or Spotify link to a song for each category (Seities note - I prefer youtube links because they are easier to share but I do use Spotify daily myself so its ok). Gather them all together in one PM. I will then “rank” them according to my own arbitrary tastes and assign 10 points for first place, 9 points for second, and so on. The ranking is meant to be fun and an opportunity for some good-natured abuse of my poor taste, but the main idea is for everyone to hear some new music and discuss one another’s picks.

Categories:
#1. A song that you can listen to on repeat. If you can’t answer that, just submit a song you have heard a lot and don’t get tired of.
#2. A song that draws you in. Maybe its a song that always gives you goosebumps at a particular spot, or a song that always demands more of your attention when it’s playing.
#3. A song you like that is 3 minutes or less.
#4. An angry song. Maybe the singer screams a lot, or maybe the lyrics are about being angry at a person or situation. It’s up to you how you interpret it.
#5. A song you like from a genre you don’t usually like.

I want to give some direction to what I enjoy but actually worry that it will be misleading. I have a very eclectic taste and over time I have listened to a lot of grunge, metal, prog metal, hardcore punk, electro (with hard leanings), and I have a long list of alt/pop/rap scattered through my playlists.

A few scoring notes:

• As usual, you are liable to some sort of ranking penalty if the song is very popular/well-known.
  • Be mindful of song length if you can. Try to keep submissions under 10 minutes, and generally something closer to 5 minutes is better.
  • Aside from that rankings will be quite arbitrary and based on what I think I am most likely to add to a playlist for future listening, my mood at the time, and the position of Earth relative to Jupiter. I’ll listen to each song more than once but no guarantees beyond that. I reserve the right to say your submission was shit in whatever way amuses me at the time, and you can go ahead and say I am shit and so is anything I have ever cared about. This is just for funzies.

Deadline for sign up and submissions is by the end of the day Sunday and I’ll be doing my best to alternate with Cassette daily for our reveals.

5 Likes

In.

1 Like

In. Submitted. Decided that thinking is for idiots. Am winning this one, can feel it.

1 Like

The dog in my avatar is pretty much how I looked when your submissions came in just now.

1 Like

@Rexx get in here. @skydiver8 you too.

I would like to play if you still have room.

1 Like

You’re in! Still 7 spots left. This Walrus was created to catch the overflow from Cassette’s Walrus, so its not close to full just yet.

1 Like

Ok I’m in even though I only have 2 picks so far.

1 Like

BRING IT REXXY!

Sent.

1 Like

ok, fine. I’m on the road and not sure I will make the deadline, but I’ll try.

1 Like

The honourable Mr Truant now brings us to 6 entrants. Can still take up to 4 more people.

Post in the LC thread imo.

I’m in the other one but I can be a substitute in this one if you need to fill spots; definitely not as enthused about these selections but I can come up with something if need be. I’ll check back tomorrow before the deadline.

It’s totes fine by me if this one doesn’t fill up. Would rather people joined because they were interested and the categories were ok for them than feeling herded into it :slightly_smiling_face:

I submitted for cassette, if you need another body I’m game, lmk

Ok looks like you do need a few more, I’m in.

Maybe you should push the deadline out as they say that traffic is usually lowest over the weekend? Other ones have generally filled up super fast afaik.

I’m in the other one but would be interested in entering this one too. The categories look easy enough.

So I think there is a little confusion which I will attempt to clear up. Apologies that I didn’t do a better job explaining this.

This Walrus was created primarily because Cassette’s is capped at 10 and filled up in the space of a few hours. This Walrus was added as an alternate so that those who missed out on entering Cassette’s in those few hours had another one to join. It also means Cassette and I can tag-team with our reveals. After all, this forum has a fever, and the only prescription is more Walrus.

Thus, as much as the interest is most appreciated, it’s not really a worry that this one has not filled up yet, or even if it doesn’t fill up at all Like I mentioned in the OP, this is for people not in the Cassette Walrus, so it’s kinda already excluding a bunch of people who might be interested.

In the throes of Walrus fever, @smrk4 has submitted entries for the Cassette Walrus and then submitted for this one as well. Some may go so far as to call this a debacle, but I am going to take this in my stride and say that so long as I don’t reach the 10-entrant cap of entrants not in the Cassette Walrus, I am going to go ahead and reveal their entries since they already put the time into them.

That aside, I won’t take entries from people who are already in the Cassette Walrus, simply because I can’t think of a simple way to decide whose entries to take that won’t completely contradict the reason for running this Walrus in the first place, which was just to give everyone who wanted to play a chance to.

I hope this all makes sense?

2 Likes