Walrus Grab Bag 6 - Reveal Thread!

Try again.

3 Likes

eh, weā€™re essentially tied

Short notice I know, but I may kick off my reveal in about 45 minutes if anyone is around?

@Pauwl
@anon29622970
@eyebooger
@Tilted
@skydiver8
@CanadaMatt3004
@Yuv
@superuberbob
@suzzer99

8 Likes

Iā€™m here

2 Likes

Letā€™s go!

1 Like

Iā€™m not expecting good things from this category.

1 Like

Some shitty preamble since there is some time to killā€¦

I think Iā€™ve mentioned before that I tend to go through phases with my listening where I deep dive into genres and listen to them a lot more over a period of time. After that they become more of a constant, and I have painstakingly curated different playlists that suit different moods.

Last year I watched a rap docuseries on Netflix (the name escapes me but it was at least 3 seasons) which kicked off more rap investigation. I had other rap music in my playlists at the time, but it was just a light scattering. I now have a 13 hour long playlist that is exclusively rap music. It ranges from some of the ā€œold schoolā€ stuff like early Beastie Boys, Notorious B.I.G etc to the much more recent music with heavy production such as NF, Doomtree.

Iā€™d list some examples of what I was looking for, but I already did that in my category post.

EDM, wellā€¦that is one that I really struggle more to describe my interests, and I think that is evident in some of the submissions I got. Either that, or your submissions sucked. Feel free to ascribe it to the former, despite some of my reveal stating it as the latter. I know that I like things on the heavier side, not so much the chill vibes. Iā€™m quite happy with inconsistent time signatures and such (probably aided by my interest in prog metal), but I do prefer consistency of sound rather than radical and abrupt shifts constantly through the music.

I got a really good mix of submissions for this category, and they actually fell quite clearly into Nodium/Modium/Podium, which hasnā€™t been the case so much for me recently. As such I was a little more blunt in some of my assessments, but as always itā€™s just a game and truth be told the ā€œmissesā€ probably says more about my category description lacking useful information.

Lastly, Iā€™ll be introducing a ā€œDimitri Ratingā€ element to this reveal, purely for illustrative purposes. I am referencing this glorious specimen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-XxbdR3Nik. May we all one day offer such pure self-expression to the world.

4 Likes

Category: Find me a new Rap or EDM song!

note - below is an edited category description which hopefully is more clear than the original.

I have listened to a lot of Rap and ā€œHardā€ EDM this year. I would like to find a new song I like from one of those genres. I will list some examples of songs I like below as a guide. So just try to submit something that you think I might like, based on these examples :slight_smile:

Musical tastes:

Rap

Iā€™m going to try and give examples that have been posted previously in Walrus (by me or someone else):

I correctly won a category judged by Louis with this: Too Many Zooz - Talkin Bout feat. Armani White (Audio) | Subway Gawdz - YouTube
Yuv submitted this song that won a category of mine (I had not heard it before): snoop doggy dogg - murder was the case - YouTube
I think it was Swanky who posted this absolute banger in a Walrus gone by: Little Simz - might bang, might not (Official Audio) - YouTube
I (correctly again) won a Louis category with this one: NF - The Search - YouTube

Generally I think I am just looking for a good, catchy flow. More recent artists like Kendrick, Drake, Travis Scott, etc are usually far more miss than hit from me.

Hard EDM

Iā€™m not entirely sure ā€œHardā€ is the best categorization of my EDM preferences but its difficult for me to find a better term.

I was incorrectly not given 1st by someone (I think Pyat) when I submitted this: Hybrid - Choke - YouTube
Same again with this: Gesaffelstein - PURSUIT (Official Video) - YouTube
I did well in a miliboo category with this, but of course should have won: roeVy - Blacksmoke (Nadisko RMX) - YouTube
Other bands that play in a similar space that I have been listening to a lot of: Hyper, BT (thanks, Skydiver8), Blanck Mass, The Prodigy

I donā€™t know enough about EDM composition to describe the commonalities too well - probably just that they have driving beats, dark or atmospheric qualities, and for me its stuff that helps me get into flow.

Any other judging notes: Iā€™m going to penalize stuff that is quite well known. Please donā€™t submit anything by artists I listed above - it wonā€™t be new to me.

In 9th place with 1 point

Dominator - We Will Prevail

I kinda want to feel sympathy for whoever submitted this, since I said I like ā€œHard EDMā€ and I assume this fits. Butā€¦you made my ears hurt. I award you 1 point, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Dimitri rating - in pain.

1 Like

Holy shit that song almost broke my speakers.

1 Like

In 8th place with 2 points

Lizot - Weekend

With apologies to whoever sent this, the whole thing just feels soā€¦.cynical. Take some really generic dance beats, meaningless lyrics, highly edited vocals, stick a pretty face in the film clip and call it a day.

Dimitri rating - I feel nothing.

2 Likes

This was me and it was a throwaway submission. So about where I expected to land.

1 Like

Yeah I had a feeling based on what you had said previously. I think we almost certainly have a lot of EDM interest that overlaps, so probably my lack of definition just made it harder for you to find any of that.

1 Like

In 7th place with 3 points

Dimitri Vegas - Stampede

Ok, things are starting to warm up a little now. I generally donā€™t go so much for Trap but can see where this submission came from. Itā€™s really not my thing, but I would imagine its an absolute banger in the club scene. Itā€™s possible that the more I listen to this the higher I would rate it, as I became more accustomed to the genre. Until now I had never got that feeling from trap music, so that in itself is a pretty cool thing to me.

Dimitri rating - curious

1 Like

In 6th place with 4 points

M.I.A - Bad Girls

Iā€™m sure this is absolutely no consolation, but the tracks in the modium could probably be interchanged at any time. Ultimately I put this one in 6th as it felt repetitive, but not in a way that draws me in the more I hear it. Still, Iā€™d be perfectly happy for this to come on as part of a playlist I had on in the background.

Dimitri rating - content

4 Likes

In 5th place with 5 points

Backxwash: ROSEMARYā€™S REVENGE

This is a solid submission based on things I have submitted and requested previously. At first I had it a little higher but it dropped a bit as I just didnā€™t find it very repeatable compared to the songs I listed higher. Mainly its just that the wailing chorus is irritating. Still, this was a good choice!

Dimitri rating - Interested

2 Likes

Will claim the 5 spot. Doubled my score!

1 Like

Yeah, you put much more thought into the analysis than I did the pick. So Im prrtty happy with 7th all things considered. This genre is WAYYYYYY outside my norm, so I googled Hard EDM and chose the one with the scantily clad women hoping for the bonus points

1 Like

In 4th place with 6 points

Sirius Bl4ck - Tribe Quest

This was an interesting one for me to place. Overall the song is a bit slower than I like, but the rap verses are great and are ultimately what elevated this to the top of the Modium.

Dimitri Rating - Pleased

5 Likes

Indy rapper native. Heā€™s one of the few good ones out here.

1 Like