Walrus Grab Bag 6 - Reveal Thread!

In 3rd place with 7 points

Nujabes - Feather

Nice. Very nice. This was always going to podium and was just a matter of whether it got 2nd or 3rd. Great flow, and I love the positive feeling the music gives. This sounds cheesy but I just see sky blue and rays of sunlight in my minds eye.

I went digging to find out more about the artist and felt really sad to learn he passed away in a car crash in 2010 :-(

I guess though it’s pretty great that they seem to have inspired a lot of people who came after them, and their art lives on - bringing joy to random people playing a music ranking game named after a large, flippered marine mammal. What more could you ask for?

Dimitri rating - joyous

2 Likes

Nujabes is GOAT level. Good pick whoever that was!

1 Like

It’s funny, I was actually just going to make a comment saying that as I am learning more about your preferences I could see you really liking this one!

1 Like

In 2nd place with 8 points

Run the Jewels - Angel Duster

Submitter says:

I know you have to be familiar with RTJ from walruses alone, but this song never came up on the forum and it’s one of my favorites. Hopefully you aren’t very familiar with it.

Yup I actually did discover RTJ through Walrus, but had never heard this song before. This is an outstanding read on the kind of tone I go for. It’s got that darker energy that for better or worse I end up gravitating towards in various artforms, and in this case its really combining Electro and Rap (as is the RTJ way). Some great flows, and I also really love the clink of glasses that gets used at times.

Great submission, this will get a lot of listens from me.

Dimitri rating - It’s happening!!!

5 Likes

In 1st place with 9 points:

Love Object - Robot

It’s often the case that the winner of my Walrus categories is something that surprises me. I often know it right from the first listen, and that was the case again here. Even more awesome, it seems like this track just dropped in the last few weeks!

I love the beats themselves - some of the effects remind me of pulse cannons and such firing from a spaceship. But the fact that this is in Russian also adds to its appeal. I don’t understand a damn word aside from “Robot” and I don’t need to.

I also really like the transition/outro starting just after the 2 minute mark, with the simplification/repetition driving through to the end and helping lodge the track firmly into my consciousness where it has remained ever since that first listen.

Given this came out so recently I can’t help wondering if someone just looked for a “new EDM songs” playlist and plucked this one out to submit, but regardless I happily give this first place and 9 points. Well played.

Dimitri rating - FULL RAVE

1 Like

was busy with some football fantasy so haven’t had time to listen or read. happy with 2nd. that song made quite a travel between categories until it landed on yours, so glad you liked it (not that RTJ is really sticking my neck out there)

1 Like

That brings my reveal to it’s conclusion.

Congrats to the winner, and special thanks to @Tilted for keeping me company!

3 Likes

sorry you picked like the only 30 mins i’m “busy” a week

1 Like

I think last place was me. You said hard EDM, but not like that I guess. I hate hard EDM, so I figured the more I hate it the better it must be. :D

1 Like

Twas me

Funny thing is that I wouldn’t have known him if not for me being an anime fan back in the day

1 Like

6th again. I struggled with this category since your EDM tastes were all the same as mine but I couldn’t really find anything new that I like from someone that you didn’t list.

So I went for rap, and MIA is one of the few female rappers I can stand to listen to.

I’m fine with the modium here.

1 Like

Spasiba!!!

Sorry I missed this reveal. I winnded!

2 Likes

1 Like
1 Like

Anyone up for today?

I thought I remember EB saying he would be able to go early this week
I can try later today but no guarantees

I’ll go later today.

4 Likes

That was the plan but I broke my shoulder and I may delay that a bit. One handed typing (and everything else) SUCKS.

1 Like

Holy shit, are you ok? What happened?

Helped some delivery driver on icy road. On walk back to house, slipped and fell on driveway.

1 Like