Walrus Grab Bag 6 - Reveal Thread!

Meb is ready for a hate reveal and Im all in for it, so lets do this!

3 Likes

Looking forward to a nodium after being told I might finish in first

Given the amount I put in, I deserve it

I 100% expect to finish last here

Havenā€™t listened to any of my stuff yet, but Iā€™ll be revealing sometime between the 26th and 28th. Probably mid-morning on the North American eastern coast.

1 Like

@seities @Pauwl @CanadaMatt3004 @Yuv @eyebooger @superuberbob @suzzer99 @Tilted @skydiver8

Reveal incoming! I think most of you are already posting in these threads so hopefully everyone sees this.

2 Likes

Probably only around for a little while longer, so might as well nodium me.

2 Likes

Welcome all to the kickoff of the Walrus Grab Bag 6 Reveal!

Our first category is modern bubblegum pop brought to you by the GOAT in this category, Carly Rae Jepsenā€™s hit Call Me Maybe

I love female vocalists and catchy upbeat pop, so I thought this would be a fun category. Unfortunately, as is appropriate for it being Festivus, Iā€™ve got a lot of problems with your submissions, and now youā€™re gonna hear about them!

Donā€™t take any of this personally, as I blame myself for not giving you more examples of my musical tastes in this category so you would better know what I was looking for. So instead, I will sprinkle some examples into the reveal.

2 Likes

In 9th place & 8th place earning 1.5 points each (yep weā€™re starting with a tie) - Kero Kero Bonito - Trampoline

Iā€™ve alway thought it should be a slight negative to submit the same song as another participant in walrus, but not enough to disqualify it. Unfortunately for whoever submitted this song, it was a clear last place for me when it was added to the fact that I didnā€™t really enjoy this song.

Turns out Iā€™m also not a huge fan of songs with random non-English lyricsā€¦.

2 Likes

Quick copy and paste of some guidelines, though I think everyone playing has done this before:

The essentials are you do a post per song, giving the score, the YT link and some words summarising your thoughts about it. Reveals are traditionally done in reverse order.

Best to @ everyone a little while before you start.

Scoring

10th and last place = 1 point, 1st place = 10 points, fill in the gaps.

Exciting additional scorung rules:

• Your 2 lowest scores will be discarded for the final total, to allow you to go for some some high risk / high reward submissions (e.g. Melt Banana)
    • If thereā€™s fewer than ten contestants weā€™ll probably only discard one score, but I trust that wonā€™t be the case.
  • You will pick one of your submissions to be your ā€˜jokerā€™, and it means youā€™ll actually score 1.5x your points for that category in the final reckoning.

Etiquette

• Itā€™s more fun if people rail during a reveal. Having said that, try and show a bit of tact and remember itā€™s a game. Playfully telling someone their opinion is wrong is fun, trying to argue with someone about how they ranked your submission really isnā€™t.
  • If you find songs in other peoples reveal you like, call it out! I get a kick out of submitting a song that is new to someone and they really like, even if its on the nodium.
  • I canā€™t guarantee I will be timely with scores. Regardless, it helps if you call out which one was yours after it was revealed.
  • Try not to call out your joker until after it was revealed.

Not last!

3 Likes

Nothing about this post bodes well for meā€¦

1 Like

Me too!

2 Likes

Also, how the hell did THAT get submitted twice?

4 Likes

In 7th place earning 3 points - KDA - Iā€™ll Show You

Did I mention I hate K-Pop? It feels like I probably should have mentioned that I hate K-Popā€¦

1 Like

Given how big foreign language music is becoming (especially K-Pop), mentioning this might have staved off a little frustration for you.

Good to not nodium this one though!

2 Likes

While weā€™re in this brief post-nodium intermission, itā€™s time for another example of what I was looking for in this category. Hereā€™s an under the radar classic for you all to enjoy.

Next up is the middle-um? Since thereā€™s 9 submissions for each category, feels like we need a name for the middle 3.

1 Like

Medium? Or modium if it has to rhyme.

4 Likes

It is customary for the area betwixt either end of notoriety to be known as ā€œThe Pauwl Zoneā€.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that itā€™s where most of my selections fall

I like modium.

3 Likes