Walrus Grab Bag 6 - Reveal Thread!

In 5th place:

Heart Attack Kids feat. Liam Cormier - Modern Decay

I believe this is the only Canadian band entry on the list. Love the opening guitar. Rest is very good too. Gritty, high energy, garage sound that lasts just the right amount of time. I’m a little sad I can’t put this higher, but the other songs feel more special and unique.

2 Likes

Basically this.

1 Like

Then just put it higher! Always listen to your gut :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the vibe on this one, and I also am a sucker for three-minute songs. Not a big fan of the guy’s voice though

1 Like

Enjoying the reveal, in particular because my submission has not been revealed yet.

This Heart Attack Kids song is solid.

If it’s easy, maybe note the alternate category for the remaining songs?

1 Like

In 4th place:

Porcupine Tree - Trains

A 6 minute song with enough tempo and stylistic changes to keep things interesting - not an easy task. The submitter said that this was a soundtrack alternate, which I’m having a tough time picturing. But it’s a very enjoyable listen from a band I’ve never heard of before.

1 Like

Absolutely love this song, have seen them play it live a few times. Not mine though.

Podium time, baby!

2 Likes

Made the podium!!

3 Likes

Hooray!

1 Like

Steven Wilson

1 Like

In 3rd place:

Dizzee Rascal - Bonkers

Another bold seities alternative, this one far superior. Apparently this guy has 5 UK number one songs (including this one), but has never even made the top 100 over here. We’re missing out. This is funky as shit. There’s a mildly annoying part for about 15 seconds at 0:51, but that’s a minor quibble. Great submission; this was a lot of fun.

4 Likes

I’m Porcupine Tree fwiw.

1 Like

It’s worth 6 points.

In 2nd place:

Masaaki Endo - Live In Baghdad

Not a big fan of anime, but the music on some of their soundtracks is top-notch. This is a good example. Multiple vocalists singing what seems like complete nonsense, but it’s so fast and fun that I don’t even care.

2 Likes

I’m content with runner-up especially given how hard it was for me to submit something for this.

From the category description, I submitted the song by Virgin Snatch which is loud and aggressive. Just needed something like that that fits into a category. Also helped that I was watching Cowboy Bebop while submitting songs for this Walrus.

2 Likes

And the winner is:

Zeal & Ardor - Ship On Fire

From the religion category. A blend of heavy metal and African-American Christian spiritual music. Exactly the kind of stuff I’ve never heard anything like before that keeps me coming back to walrus. Outstanding find; wire-to-wire winner. Take a bow.

3 Likes

Fuck. Yes.

I listened to this again when you started the reveal and had no idea why I didn’t make this my joker. Really glad this was a hit for you.

2 Likes

Terrible category, hated basically every song including the examples except one of the KPop songs. Name on a Matchbook is excellent but not really bubblegum pop.

1 Like

well fuck. guess this is my other drop :(

1 Like

that was my nickname in high school

I basically had a triple switch here. This one was suppose to go to seities while the RTJ entry was suppose to go to skydiver cause it has a brilliant verse on religion. But i decided that one verse might not be enough for her category and was too set on sending it at that point.

@seities how would it do in your category? I really thought it fits your category and taste a ton, but other than the above, i also figured you might be pretty familiar with it.

2 Likes