Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

5th is cool with me

Didn’t hear of Scarlxrd until I had to research for this category. To me, he hits every single corner of that triangle set by seities perfectly.

3 Likes

Anthrax was mine

Edit: believe it or not it’s a Joe Jackson cover

4 Likes

Damn, I could have done some Anthrax. I don’t know any of the other bands so far (except I think I saw one in a previous walrus).

2 Likes

Same.

2 Likes

In 3rd place with 8 points

Nine Inch Nails - March of the Pigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9plocccoM or

https://youtu.be/GBLodBIUW3s or

Trent Reznor is just so fucking good. Man. I remember MJK in an interview back in the 90’s saying he thought NIN are a long way ahead of their time, and listening to this song now I have to agree. This sounds every bit to me like something that could have been released this year. I try not to listen to too much NIN because it’s going to influence my mood negatively, and I couldn’t have recalled this song so it may as well be new to me. It’s excellent.

6 Likes

Now I’m even more impressed. It’s a brilliant read.

2 Likes

That 7/8 time signature.

2 Likes

Yay! Thats mine

4 Likes

In 2nd place with 9 points

NEWMEDS - Psycho

Oh my. This is fucking great. What’s more, they seem relatively unknown, so I am really impressed that whoever submitted this just nailed it. There is nothing particularly influential or genre-bending here. It’s just a song that hits right where I like it. It has builds, catchy guitar riffs, vocals that match, and moves everything at the right pace.

I have playlist of songs that have something unquantifiable that makes them very repeatable for me. While many other artists in this category have way more listens and accolades to their name, this one lands in second because it’s going straight into that list.

An inspired choice.

5 Likes

Nice.

4 Likes

I take partial credit for everything nano does!

6 Likes

Incorrect

4 Likes

I had an inkling that must have been you. Complete soul-read.

2 Likes

Almost got there, I was pretty confident about this one. I noticed after I submitted it that he even has an Eminem cadence when he sing-talks in a few brief parts.

3 Likes

In 1st place with 10 points

Poppy - Concrete

I love when a song makes you go “oh wow, what the fuck was THAT?” After my first listen through it was this song and the Scarlxrd tracks that I was most keen to get back to because they really brought something new to me that I wanted to dissect. There is so much going on here and I am stunned that it all comes together in such a way that it never feels like it’s forcing the changes together for the sake of it.

Also the submitter was kind enough to supply a diagram, which while it didn’t win them this category, did give me something to print and put on my fridge.

I haven’t gone through any of their other songs yet (but of course I will), nor have I ready much of her biography. But I would imagine the juxtaposition of the pop-style conclusion to the song with the same macabre lyrics are also making a deeper point.

I found the sound and artistry of this compelling, and more than any other song in this category I feel like I have to know more. In such strong competition I feel very comfortable calling this my winner. 10 points well earned.

4 Likes

As painful as the judging was. this was a really fun category and I have so much new stuff I want to explore.

Thanks for your submissions, and of course congrats to the winner.

4 Likes

Thanks for getting us off on a high and extremely well judged start!

3 Likes

Man, all they needed was a 7 minute keyboard solo to really incorporate every genre i don’t like.

i love the minor threat song, but not sure how it’s in the triangle. Cool that two people landed on that british Rapper and both never heard of him before.

Fun idea for a category.

6 Likes

Glad you liked it! I guess she was a very weird YouTuber for years and then released a couple pop albums until her latest metal/whatever genre this is album. I’ve been jamming it a bit lately.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a monster. You have me so well pegged at this point that I guessed you might have submitted Poppy or just to show off went for the NEWMEDS song with 20k youtube views knowing it would land.

2 Likes