Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

You know what’s fun? Mystery! I say we never reveal Louis’s category, that way we can all wonder what would have been. We can use our imaginations! We’ll just end the competition here.

Like I know how to buy dogecoin. I still buy CDs for chrissakes

1 Like

“Chock Full of Rectitude: The Louis Story” a Lifetime original movie

Edit: I must learn how to multiquote

4 Likes

Reveal will start in 45-60 minutes.

@cassette
@crash_face
@eyebooger
@microbet
@nano
@Pauwl
@pyatnitski
@seities
@smrk4
@superuberbob

8 Likes

Last time I got a dozen rock and metal songs plus Monty Python. I chose this category so that not everybody plays it safe or feels like they have to stick to these genres to have a chance. I expected a more diverse selection of songs. This didn’t worked out quite as well as I hoped. For a category that intentionally was left very broad I got some very uninspired choices considering you had 90%+ of all music in existence to choose from. It’s not bad but it could have been better.

3 Likes

WHAT WOULD I HAVE SUBMITTED?

The world was your oyster. That’s why I don’t even know what to post here. Two examples that are by no means representative:

2 Likes

In 10th place scoring 1 point: Sonny Boy Williamson – Bye Bye Bird

Sonny Boy Williamson is probably a blues legend that inspired dozens of other greats and is in all the hall of fames but this just isn’t for me. It breaks rule number two. Neither the vocals nor the harmonica do much for me. The most interesting part of the song is him snapping his fingers and that’s never a good sign.

5 Likes

In 9th place scoring 2 points: Louis Prima - I Wanna Be Like You

This is the replacement I got for Beethoven’s 9th symphony which I rejected for not being a song and the submitter might have been under some time pressure.
My first reaction was that a younger Louis thought of this as a fun song. Unfortunately nostalgia isn’t what it used to be. I don’t get much out of it anymore and I probably had heard it too many times already anyway.

5 Likes

Lol this was me. Way to finish strong

6 Likes

There was no TiKTok back then. We had to make due with what we had.

Not mine.

2 Likes

Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Bold.

3 Likes

Wait Sonny Boy Williamson got beat by a Jungle Book song?

5 Likes

Those must have been grim times.

2 Likes

In 8th place scoring 3 points: Keane – Is It Any Wonder

At first I thought somebody was trying to pull a fast one on me. That sounds like an electric guitar there, right? Before I was going to accuse anyone of nefarious business I checked if my ears were deceiving me and yes, they were. Kind of. What you hear is a distorted piano emulating guitar sounds.This angle-shooting isn’t why this song ended up on the nodium though.

It’s a perfectly fine radio-friendly pop-rock song. Accordingly it could have finished somewhere in the middle where we often find songs that are okay but don’t really grab our attention but then there is this:

While I didn’t watch much MTV in 2006, I have heard it so many times on the radio or whereever music was playing. This was a Top20 hit all over Europe and got a lot of airplay. That’s why I placed it behind other songs that I liked listening to much more.

2 Likes

This concludes the nodium but there are a couple of more entries coming up that competed for it.

2 Likes

Figured I would’ve nodiumed

In 7th place scoring 4 points: Billy Strings – Don’t Think Twice

I try to avoid the accompanying music videos as best I can before I finalized my rankings to avoid being influenced by them one way or the another. I don’t think I have heard this before but it feels like I have songs just like it many times. It’s pleasant enough to listen to. He seems to be a talented singer and guitar player. A lone singer strumming a guitar is a style of music that rarely excites me though.

5 Likes

Ban.

3 Likes

It’s a famous Bob Dylan song, so you’ve likely heard it before. And it’s not strumming a guitar, it’s finger picking which is way more interesting imo.

eta: not my entry

1 Like