Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

Sorry, I’m a bit of a philistine on classical. Maybe my now retired Salieri avatar threw you off? That was more about a pompous dude who had a sense for greatness but was denied by God the talent to achieve it for himself. Not saying that describes me at all.

Do it!

1 Like

Ok, I’m on for 9pm tonight Pacific.

3 Likes

Allow myself to speak for myself, I’ll be here :)

1 Like

Just do it when it’s convenient for you. I won’t be sweating it live but I’ll read up on it tomorrow. I don’t expect a lot of points from your category anyway.

Most of the songs I got are close to ties.

Your category feels like a total crapshoot

Edit: found something you like at least, I hope

Getting ready. What would I have picked? I hadn’t even thought about that until now. It could have been Hank Williams or Louis Armstrong or The Glenn Miller Orchestra or Lead Belly or Bing Crosby or a lot of others.

(not sure when this version was recorded, but she recorded it in the 40s (I think first in 1939, then again in '44.). This would have won:

This would have also won:

Damn, those are both good.

5 Likes

There were no bad songs submitted. All were good. Judging is hard, well, I’ve accepted that many of these are essentially ties and that’s just the way it went. But, I have to rank them.

There’s nothing wrong with this song. Fits the category very well. I’m going to have to say something bad about it because it’s last place…it’s kinda boring.

1 pt

5 Likes

I like this song more than the one before it, so obviously I don’t think it’s bad. This is a type of music I really like. I like very similar songs more. I’m not in love with Ernest Tubb’s singing. The lyrics are entertaining, but also slightly bug me.

2pts

5 Likes

@smrk4 @cassette
@crash_face @nano
@microbet @eyebooger
@seities @pyatnitski
@Pauwl @LouisCyphre
@superuberbob

Late night reveal alert

5 Likes

I really hate to nodium this. Whoever picked this did it because they know me. I think this is.a great movie with great music. This is not the best song from the movie. It’s not bad. It’s very cute. In the movie it’s better than it is taken as a separate song.

3pts

5 Likes

I almost want to take that back now, but pushing on.

2 Likes

So, I almost feel like if there’s a Hell, I’m putting my soul in danger by scoring this so low. It should score very high. It’s a great song. Robert Johnson is great. This is a great Robert Johnson song. But, I’m not scoring based on influence and, well, it’s great, but I don’t like his signing that much.

4pts

Hellhound on my trail - Robert Johnson

5 Likes

I’m the tubb. Boo this man!

3 Likes

I knew I would love this category.

3 Likes

It’s getting to where I don’t really have to say anything negative? Middle of the pack. This is a really good and interesting song. I like her voice and the guitar too. If there’s any complaint it’s like, I don’t know about this shooting him thing and then everything is a-ok in the next verse.

5pts

Memphis Minnie - Me and my Chauffeur Blues

4 Likes

I figured mine was next after Robert Johnson. lol

2 Likes

I likey, some fun runs at the end

1 Like

So, this song is really innovative. It’s a contender for the first rock and roll song. Listen to the guitar at 1:07, you know Chuck Berry did. It’s a really good song. Innovation prolly giving it a boost, but being ranked on how much I like it - which I do!

6pts Goree Carter - Hoy Hoy

5 Likes