Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

I submitted Opeth but this was not mine.

I am quite fond of my entry for this category, but given how tough it was I am trying to keep any podium aspirations in check.

2 Likes

I thought about a classical piece for another category. But it just seemed weird to submit, say, a Haydn symphony (and just part of it, at that)

Yeah, submitting a symphony would be weird, wouldn’t it?

2 Likes

Submitting a whole one would be a good troll to someone who had pledged to listen to each submission five times

In 7th place scoring 4 points: ELUVEITIE - A Rose For Epona

The next bunch of songs, although not necessarily super similar, were microscopically close to me from a judging standpoint. This entry is like an 8/10. I really liked it. If I had a lighter, I would have taken it out for the bagpipe? intro. Lead singer is really great, I love how her voice breaks on the high notes. Hurts to put it in 7th but I have to.

4 Likes

A violin and electric guitar in the thumbnail? Gotta be Mr. Luis.

3 Likes

Nope. That would be me :frowning:

It’s why I said folk metal was made for this category. Probably shouldn’t have said that in hindsight.

I do in part owe my new interest in folk metal to LC though.

2 Likes

In 6th place scoring 5 points: Tiamat - Gaia

Very cool, reminds me of Comfortably Numb. Has an epic quality to it that matches with the category theme nicely. Comes up just a little short on the vocals for me, not in love with the singer.

3 Likes

I like this a lot.

4 Likes

So do I.

2 Likes

Good guess. I like Eluveitie so that could have been me.

3 Likes

I figured this could be a problem. Too bad because the whole album is great.

1 Like

In 5th place scoring 6 points: …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Isis Unveiled

Just love the pace and energy of this submission. Definitely playlist material. As an aside, before Islamic State came to be synonymous with ISIS, the o.g. Isis was one of the most important Goddesses in the Egyptian Pantheon, and cults of Isis lingered into the 3rd century AD in the Roman empire and have tangential connections to the development of early Christianity.

5 Likes

I really like the song “Will You Smile Again For Me” by this band. Cool to see them pop up here.

2 Likes

I almost submitted a song by them for spoken word.

1 Like

This is my entry. I listened to them alot in the mid 2000’s .

4 Likes

Some bands you could check out are Skyclad (“Irrational Anthems”), Korpiklaani (“Spirit of the forest”), Vintersorg (“Ödemarkens Son”), Midnattsol (“The Aftermath”) and Heilung (“Ofnir”).

If you are okay with rough vocals you could give Finntroll (“Nattfödd”, especially “Trollhammeren”) and Wintersun (“The Forest Seasons”) a listen.

In brackets are albums that are a good place to start.

3 Likes

In 4th place scoring 7 points: Trivium - Torn Between Scylla And Charybdis

Everything about this kicks ass except one thing that cost it the podium. I was fine with the first round of growling, but even more growling in the last section made it come up short. Otherwise, this is amazing, it’s precisely the kind of metal I like. Fast af but more melodic. Singer sounds like a young James Hetfield when he sings in his ‘normal’ voice.

4 Likes

1 spot off the podium.

I’ll take it.

4 Likes

Ok sorry for lack of suspense and images, I’m running a bit short on time, I’m going to do the podium in one post, but congrats if you made it!

2 Likes