Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

I’m going to ask @pyatnitski to award you negative three points just to be safe.

3 Likes

I did, but I’ll save it for another Walrus. After all, it’s a band that’s never been in a Walrus before.

1 Like

Happening somewhat soon:

@smrk4 @cassette
@crash_face @nano
@microbet @seities @pyatnitski
@Pauwl @LouisCyphre
@superuberbob

5 Likes

As a reminder of what we’re doing here:

2 Likes

Putting this in some kind of order was much more difficult than in any of the 4 previous grab bags.

Determining last place, however, was an easy task.

1 Like

In 10th place for 1 point:

Shakira - Hips Don’t Lie (Colombia)

I warned you:

Shakira is one of the biggest stars of the 2000s, and this is her biggest song. It hit #1 just about everywhere and has nearly a billion YouTube views.

What’s more is that this isn’t even that good for Shakira. I like Shakira. Estoy Aqui might have podiumed. There probably are a bunch of other songs that I haven’t heard that would have done respectably. This isn’t close to her best work.

3 Likes

I like my song for this category. A nodium would crush my spirit

2 Likes

There is going to be a nodium that I feel really bad about.

2 Likes

In 9th place for 2 points:

Mother Mother – Hayloft (Canada)

The beat is catchy, but the singing of the chorus bothered me. It got tedious too, which isn’t good for a 3 minute song. Interestingly, the first time I listened to this, YouTube autoplayed to another Mother Mother song that I liked quite a bit. So I listened to another and that one was pretty good too.

So I think the band is pretty good, but just a misfire on this song in particular. I can understand why you might think I’d like it, but it just didn’t click with me. Unfortunately the competition is too fierce for that.

3 Likes

From here on out, I really liked all of the songs. So if it sounds like I’m being a little harsh, I am. But only because I need to highlight the minor flaws in order to get some separation.

2 Likes

Gonna suck when I nodium with my selection.

EDIT: Okay, I didn’t.

1 Like

In 8th place for 3 points:

Tenemos Explosivos – Agamenón (Chile)

I really like this, but if I have to nitpick (which I do), I’m not that big a fan of what the singer is doing here. I don’t think his voice matches the style they are trying to do here.

He’s not untalented; I checked out some of their other stuff and liked it a lot more. This would have won:

So, yeah, thanks for the band recommendation. Sorry about the nodium.

3 Likes

In 7th place for 4 points:

Metric - Gold Guns Girls (Canada)

Although this wasn’t any kind of monster hit, I have heard this song quite a bunch. I did my best to not let that factor into my judging. I may or may not have succeeded.

This is a fun, catchy song. I certainly never turned it off when it came on the radio, but I’d never confuse it with my favorite song either. It feels like this should be middling rather than 7th, but the competition is good.

4 Likes

The Hayloft song was strange.

Maybe just too much for early Sunday morning.

Also a Chilean hardcore band! (their Spanish language wiki calls them “hardcore” anyway). lol the wiki also lists their style as “tuneless” which seems a bit harsh. Edit: song also would have qualified for myth category

1 Like

Spirit still intact

It was called Delphine, from a review of the song: “Delphine isn’t a seer or a guest out of time: she’s just another person. It turns out, another person’s heart can feel just as unknowable as a collection of arcane prophecies.” :pensive:

3 Likes

In 6th place for 5 points:

Grimes - Oblivion (Canada)

We’re reaching the point where it’s getting difficult to say bad things about the songs, which wouldn’t be a problem if we weren’t still in the back half of the countdown.

I like this song a lot. It’s dreamy and catchy, despite the lyrics being much darker. It didn’t grab me the way a few of her other songs did, like Flesh Without Blood. So I’m probably unfairly comparing it to that and feel like this does deserve more points, but this is where it ultimately landed.

5 Likes

5 Likes

You died with honor

Blood cleanup costs will be billed to your family

2 Likes

In 5th place for 6 points:

Monsieur Doumani - Έ άδρωπε / Hey you (Cyprus)

Changed my mind on this song the most. Had this in the podium and the nodium at various times. It lands in the middle.

What I love about this song is it’s modern use of a traditional sound. The one negative I can say about this song is that it goes on too long. This is a potentially first place worthy 3-3.5 minute song that’s unnecessarily stretched out into 5. Some of that extra two minutes is fun, but it’s not worth it.

3 Likes