Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

It was called Delphine, from a review of the song: “Delphine isn’t a seer or a guest out of time: she’s just another person. It turns out, another person’s heart can feel just as unknowable as a collection of arcane prophecies.” :pensive:

3 Likes

In 6th place for 5 points:

Grimes - Oblivion (Canada)

We’re reaching the point where it’s getting difficult to say bad things about the songs, which wouldn’t be a problem if we weren’t still in the back half of the countdown.

I like this song a lot. It’s dreamy and catchy, despite the lyrics being much darker. It didn’t grab me the way a few of her other songs did, like Flesh Without Blood. So I’m probably unfairly comparing it to that and feel like this does deserve more points, but this is where it ultimately landed.

5 Likes

5 Likes

You died with honor

Blood cleanup costs will be billed to your family

2 Likes

In 5th place for 6 points:

Monsieur Doumani - Έ άδρωπε / Hey you (Cyprus)

Changed my mind on this song the most. Had this in the podium and the nodium at various times. It lands in the middle.

What I love about this song is it’s modern use of a traditional sound. The one negative I can say about this song is that it goes on too long. This is a potentially first place worthy 3-3.5 minute song that’s unnecessarily stretched out into 5. Some of that extra two minutes is fun, but it’s not worth it.

3 Likes

A Cypriot anti-consumerism song! I like it

1 Like

That’s like three last places in a row for me and I think I will probably get another last place.

1 Like

In 4th place for 7 points:

Koppo - Gromologie (Cameroon)

This is has a great beat and I love the chorus. Narrowly misses the podium because the second half of frequent spoken word isn’t anywhere near as strong as the first half.

It’s still a lot of fun, even though I don’t speak Camfranglais (apparently a language that’s a hybrid of French and English with some extra influences from the indigenous languages of the area).

3 Likes

Podium!!

1 Like

In 3rd place for 8 points:

Dabao An Qi - Quán Yù Tiānxia (China)

I really am not a fan of these types of talent reality shows, so it’s a testament to how much fun this is that this is making the podium. This is great. Love the combination of the yelling with the other more traditional voice.

After the first listen, I loved it, but worried that the novelty might wear off after repeated listens (as is often the case with these performances). But I didn’t feel that way at all. This holds up as a fun rocking tune.

3 Likes

Sucks that almost nobody’s awake (or at least online) during this reveal.

1 Like

Still alive? Down to me and you?

1 Like

In 2nd place for 9 points:

Despistado – A Stirstick’s Prediction (Canada)

This reminds me of Japandroids, but better (and apparently earlier). Love the fast paced rhythm. It’s everything I like about this type of music.

Like the Cameroonian and Cypriot songs, it goes on about bit too long, but in this case, it’s a minor complaint. The first 2.5 minutes are damn near perfect.

3 Likes

Nope :frowning:

You know Babymetal, I assume? If not, you should check them out.

1 Like

To whoever submitted this:

Do you now what became of them? Did they record an album?

In 1st place for 10 points:

Pierre Kwenders and Jacobus - Mardi Gras (Canada)

An incredible collaboration between a Congolese-born world music artist and a French Canadian rapper. This is the kind of completely new-to-me stuff that I hope for with a category like this.

Love the beat; love both singers. It took me a little while to come to this conclusion, but ultimately realized that this had to win.

5 Likes

Family and social pressure from Huang Anqi’s (the growler) family forced the band to split and thus withdraw from the competition prior to the quarterfinals. She now works as a nurse in Wuhan.

3 Likes

Interesting how the Columbian and Chilean artists both land on the nodium. I sense racism. eyebooger is probably Peruvian.

2 Likes

Glad you liked it. I bought this CD at Christmas and this song has been on heavy rotation ever since. It really grows on you. It’s a cover of an old Cajun fiddle song

5 Likes