Walrus Grab Bag 5 Reveal

Picked the Monk song because my son has a musical book with a 10 second clip in it, and was playing it over and over. Did know the song anyway, but if ten seconds of it repeated endlessly sounds great it must be a (near) winner.

Ulver was my other entry, and that one fell foul of the usual lack of taste, judgement, panache, sense, manners etc. that one expects from Walrus.

Scores probably not till this evening, I’m afraid. No drinking involved.

4 Likes

I understand not liking the Tubbs lyrics, but if you imagine the Satan worship as real and the Saint stuff as a metaphor it works for me.

1 Like

Duke Ellington song was mine. Woo hoo my first #1! The Duke is on heavy rotation in our house on Sunday mornings. The Monk song is also fantastic

Carter song also a good one. you are right, that solo must have influenced Chuck Berry. Some very good songs submitted for this category imo

3 Likes

Man I’m getting killed.

1 Like

Hoy Hoy was mine.

I didnt really know how to approach this category since I never really listen to anything before the 80’s, let alone this far back.

So I decided to try and tie my entry to stuff I like now by looking for songs that may have influenced what I like now.

I’m glad you liked it, and thanks for the reveal Micro!

2 Likes

Very happy with a 3rd considering the category.

Nice reveal!

3 Likes

I can probably do this tomorrow morning.

It will likely be early (starting around like 8 or 9 AM Eastern) because I’m doing stuff with my dad for Father’s Day.

Apologies to anyone on the west coast, but you fuckers make us stay up way too late for sports, so sorry not sorry.

5 Likes

Nice!

Just catching up on SUB’s category and finding it a little weird that he asked for a category for which he had a list of straight BANGERS ready to go. I will say that other than the bottom few, the spoken word songs have been surprisingly enjoyable.

4 Likes

I feel crash_face can overtake me tomorrow if he hasn’t already, I expect a middling result if not worse, although I’ve been running very good so far so idk.

1 Like

Heh. Right before the reveal, all I did was search for spoken word on Spotify and a playlist popped up with a bunch of them.

QED

1 Like

This is mine. I really wanted to give the 40s a chance. I listened to a 4 hour “best of” which consisted mostly of swing and jazz instrumentals which just sounded like elevator music to me. The deadline was drawing close. I fired up another best of youtube playlist. This was the second song on that list and I decided it’s good enough. 1 point is about as much as I expected.

I am curious what the rest of you folks submitted

1 Like

I submitted Hellhound on my Trail.

With 30s/40s music, it was either blues or swing music to me and the former is infinitely better than the latter imo.

2 Likes

I remember Robert Johnson from the tv show Timeless where the time travelling protagonists cross paths with him.

:smirk:

On the one hand, this doesn’t feel very electronic to me. On the other hand, this song absolutely slaps so gotta tip my cap to cassette.

This is also great, damn.

First place not doing it for me but props to the pick.

1 Like

Blues is great. Like I said, Leadbelly is a favorite. This would have done well (except I think this is 1929)

but, swing? this would have done well too:

hey, this is in the period too and I picked it for a previous walrus

Two rounds to go, it’s close at the top!

4 Likes

4 Likes

I actually think I have a good one for you.

1 Like

I’m still not even sure about my final rankings.

I think I have a 1-4 tier and a 5-8 tier, but even those have changed recently.

All of them are very good, but none of them have knocked my socks off either.

Way to throw a wet blanket on whatever optimism I was still able to muster.

1 Like