Walrus Grab Bag 3 Reveal

In 9th place with 4 points

Perry Como - Hoop Dee Doo

Review

This song seems like a good entry. What could possibly go wrong?

You had the right idea, just picked a bad song. Sorry.

2 Likes

Guess I should have gone with Nat King Cole.

3 Likes

Like I could have obviously just picked random Sinatra song, but I don’t ever listen to anything like that so i wanted to stay true to submitting songs that I only had some sort of connection to. In that light, me but having anything older than 80s that I ever listen to doesn’t work here.

Me for the last hour: one more reveal and I’ll go workout

2 Likes

Was this your pick? Not sure whether this or Men at Work would’ve been last place for me. Blind Willie looking pretty good!

I suspected this was you. I kinda expected you to crush this category. The song was just a little too much for me.

In 8th place with 5 points

David Essex - Rock On

Review

I’ve heard cover versions of this song from various bands over the years. Smashing Pumpkins and Def Leppard. Not really into it. It’s not you, it’s me.

5 Likes

Seems like someone should’ve been more specific with his category! That said not feeling these so far, other than The Promise of course.

3 Likes

I might have FPSed myself into thinking there are a lot of “obvious” songs from the pre-rock era.

1 Like

Yeah, curious what the rest is going to be like.

1 Like

In 7th place with 6 points

Dead Can Dance - A Passage In Time

Comments: Not that old (83, 84?) but a nice track with some good bass that has some of that new wave/dark wave sound I hope. Somewhat fishing here because I haven’t listened to this album before, but I love me some Lisa Gerrard nonsense singing and have a few DCD tracks on my playlist.

Review

Ok kinda dark wave song. I’m familiar with this band but never really got into them. I like the chorus well enough but the vocals for the rest of the song are kinda weak. This has alot of the elements for songs that I like in this genre. This was a good pick for me. It just dunt really do it fer me.

5 Likes

One notch below mediocrity, I’ll take it

4 Likes

In 6th place with 7 points

Mountain - Long Red

Comments: I have no idea of this falls afoul of any restrictions. I just know my Dad was ecstatic to find this cassette tape and play it in the car for me and my brother, and the guitar here is absolutely jammin

Review

It sounded like a hip hop beat to start. " Well, clap your hands to what he’s doin’… On tempo!"

It’s a decent jam song. Cool guitar stuff. I like just sitting back and listening to stuff like this. Song could have went on way longer and just kept jamming.

3 Likes

I have always really liked this song, and also considering when it came out it was such a wierd sound to be so popular.

Mrs Swanky absolutely LURVS David Essex btw. She just heard me playing this and is now utterly furious it didn’t win

2 Likes

Pauwling in Pauwls reveal is fine by me!

Btw, nice catch on the beat to start:

The Mountain Live version has one of the most sampled drum breaks in the history of hip hop music. The break (as well as West’s banter with the audience) has been sampled in over 600 songs as of 2017.

3 Likes

In 5th place with 8 points

Dr. John - Walk On Guilded Splinters (1968)

Comments: I’ve yet to hear anything similar to Dr. John. Granted, I’m not well versed in Voodoo Music, but this is a pretty cool blend of weird, scary and awesome, which I guess is what New Orleans was all about.

Review

This song is good. I liked this one. Lyrics are cool. “Je suis le grand zombie”. I like voodoo stuff. I’ve read about Marie Laveau and the Loa in the past. Legba approves this song.

Google says the chorus is “Ti Alberta”. I always make up my own lyrics, so to me it’s “Did I murder?”

This video recommended a bunch of performances with Dr. John and Johnny Winter. I like when stuff like that happens.

5 Likes

That’s mine. We traded 5th place.

3 Likes

In 4th place with 9 points

The Velvelettes - Needle in a Haystack

Review

Cool 60’s group. Really good entry! There’s all kinds of groups like this from the 60’s that I’ve never heard of, so it’s brand new to me. I love stuff like this. I find it to be charming. This is what I meant by things being wide open the further back in time you go. Pop music from the 60’s is fine with me.

7 Likes

Not New Orleans, but I was very close to submitting Screaming Jay Hawkins to this category

1 Like

I always come 4th in a Pauwl category.

Back before the dawn of ecstacy we used to go to a club in Kentish Town in London where this was always a floor filler

3 Likes